Angler question

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king

Have you raised any angler fish? Like these guys below. Ive got an empty 32 gallon tank with nothing in it and always been interested in one of these dudes since I saw one in a LFS years ago. Just wondering if I could put one in there and it be the only fish in there?

4456E73A-DD8D-4013-8F2D-F80C34550D74.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Clown Frogfish, Antenniarius maculatus . One of the Smaller Frogfish, with maximum length of 3.9” according to my book. Should be okay in a tank that size as larger Frogfish, are at a Minimum Tank size of 30 gallons. Needs rocks to perch on. Will eat any shrimp, crabs and small fish, though.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I actually just found this write up after posting and finished reading!! You mentioned they are only really healthy with a live diet. The guy in the picture Im looking at has been with the seller for 3 months. Im waiting on a response on if he feeds dead food or live. But if he has been on a dead food and then I switch him to live, will that help his nutrition or is there already a nutrition decency like you mentioned? Also for the guppies and mollies you feed, these guys are the fresh water ones right? I know they both can technically live in salt too. Where do you get them? Petsmart or petco?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a source of live Salt or Brackish Glass Shrimp? Salt water Bait Fish? Also I would feed it Silversides, Saltwater Clams, Oysters on a stick. Freshwater Fish may not have the correct vitamins and minerals for them. Would be just junk food.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I dont have a source for that. I could order online and start a tank for them I guess, got a spare 10 gallon.
Do you have a source of live Salt or Brackish Glass Shrimp? Salt water Bait Fish? Also I would feed it Silversides, Saltwater Clams, Oysters on a stick. Freshwater Fish may not have the correct vitamins and minerals for them. Would be just junk food.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my threads cover the nutritional values of various foods and real explanations of fresh vs salt, please read them. Easy to click my name and "find all threads".

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my threads cover the nutritional values of various foods and real explanations of fresh vs salt, please read them. Easy to click my name and "find all threads".
Will do thank you!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Local Bait Shops, as they may have the Live Glass Shrimp, even though you are inland. Of course they may disappear in the Winter Months.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I cover some on guppies and mollies in the thread " The truth about fats". I have never found an advantage to feeding marine shrimp vs the variety of shrimp kept in fresh water at the lfs, which are actually a variety that live in a range from fresh, brackish, and salt.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back