Angry Upgrade 120 to 230 Peninsula!

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while doing my daily tank detailed look... I see this on my gold torch...
20180829_173643.jpg
20180829_173752.jpg

Started another ID thread and was told they're Polycads.. gotta do more research.

Anyways I checked all my other eupyhilla and only saw 1 other, was able to manually remove it. Then I took out the gold torch and used some coral rx... they came right off but tried going into the torch more. Turkey baster blasted em out. Scrapped the skeleton to get all the eggs but I doubt I got everything....

No idea how these guys got so big without me noticing... :mad:

For the new build I'll be dipping all the corals before placing them in the tank and inspecting much more thoroughly.
20180829_200944.jpg
20180829_200552.jpg
20180829_203019.jpg

Sorry to see you have to deal with this! These little buggers are so annoying! They would only bother my torch coral (not hammers), and I just recently took out my torch as it was getting killed by these guys. I had dipped it twice. I even did a tank treatment twice (29 gallon tank), but it seems like they probably lay eggs all over that you just can't find.

I hear that there are certain wrasses (yellow corris, and I believe a Melanarus wrasse) that will eat these guys. Treatments did nothing for me.

Good luck!

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the video and the detail - appreciate you taking the time to talk about it with so much information.
waiting for this bad boy to be skinned and painted.

awesome stuff man.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, sudden burst of momentum on this thread! :)

Hello from league city. We have the exact dimensions tank from planet. I bought it from someone in Katy two years ago.
Hello! How are you enjoying it? Do you have it set up as a peninsula? Send a FTS!

following along
Enjoy the ride! :p

Sorry to see you have to deal with this! These little buggers are so annoying! They would only bother my torch coral (not hammers), and I just recently took out my torch as it was getting killed by these guys. I had dipped it twice. I even did a tank treatment twice (29 gallon tank), but it seems like they probably lay eggs all over that you just can't find.

I hear that there are certain wrasses (yellow corris, and I believe a Melanarus wrasse) that will eat these guys. Treatments did nothing for me.

Good luck!
Yea those eggs are a pain. I'm going to go pick up a cheap dollar tree magnifying glass to inspect everything more closely. Now I know what to look for. I've heard the same on the wrasses. I have a leopard and a lintenus; haven't gotten around to purchase a melanarus yet but it is on my must have list! Maybe later in this thread I'll post my wish list.

Loved the video and the detail - appreciate you taking the time to talk about it with so much information.
waiting for this bad boy to be skinned and painted.

awesome stuff man.

Thanks man! I apologize for the audio at the end, I didn't realize how much the rain would be picked up ;Facepalm I'll be better next time ;Hilarious

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a closed design like that, I like to put white vinyl paneling used for bathrooms/Laundry rooms on the bottom. Also, you have no ventilation and will get more moisture build up. Any place you could hide fan or vent.
This is an awesome idea for the bottom of the stand! Later in the video I did a walk around and showed I cut a hole in the back for ventilation. Also where the drains run though will be open. I think I'll put a simple clip on fan for some simple air movement. :)

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to see but bunch of sps frags. But I’ll take a pic when light is up. I have coast to coast internal overflow which occupy some space. I wish it is external overflow.40” height stand is a must, and I did waterproof white paint which saved the stand a few times when accidentally flooded.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an open design on my 280. I did think about doing acrylic magnetic panels at one point. Just haven't had the time or the motivation.
sump.jpg

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
792a382ce77ab05439e69fe14b4ab856.jpg

Just restarted 6 months ago and restocking corals.
Looking good! Can't wait to get mine and see it set up!

I have been running an open design on my 280. I did think about doing acrylic magnetic panels at one point. Just haven't had the time or the motivation.
sump.jpg
Looks nice and clean, nothing wrong leaving it open if you don't mind it.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a call from the LFS today. I made a request that no plastic is used for the cross bracing because I hate the shadows with a passion. Planet Aquariums called them and let them know they needed to do the plastic bracing. So my other option was to Eurobrace for another $200. Easy choice because if I got the tank and saw some shadows I would have lost my mind ;Hilarious

Also the tank is built but they were waiting on my word to do the bracing. My guess is another 3 weeks? 2 weeks to let the silicone cure, then delivery. Either way, plenty to do while I wait!

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a call from the LFS today. I made a request that no plastic is used for the cross bracing because I hate the shadows with a passion. Planet Aquariums called them and let them know they needed to do the plastic bracing. So my other option was to Eurobrace for another $200. Easy choice because if I got the tank and saw some shadows I would have lost my mind ;Hilarious

Also the tank is built but they were waiting on my word to do the bracing. My guess is another 3 weeks? 2 weeks to let the silicone cure, then delivery. Either way, plenty to do while I wait!

My tank come with euro bracing. I really like it and I think it makes the structure stronger so they didn’t have to use 3/4” glass. I remembered the original tank owner told me the glass edge bezel wasn’t standard option. You may want to check that so it’s not too sharp at the edge.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank come with euro bracing. I really like it and I think it makes the structure stronger so they didn’t have to use 3/4” glass. I remembered the original tank owner told me the glass edge bezel wasn’t standard option. You may want to check that so it’s not too sharp at the edge.
I always found it weird to use 3/4" glass and then use 1/4" flimsy plastic to provide structural support o_O Gotta look at my financials coming up, expecting this tank by the end of the month. It will pain be each day it sits empty :mad:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just waiting along with you, and the all star cast. Great job on the stand , I did what you thought you did , diddent account for the face frame.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just waiting along with you, and the all star cast. Great job on the stand , I did what you thought you did , diddent account for the face frame.
haha trim is your best friend on projects! I'm actually just a special kind of idiot. I calculated everything out, then thought I made a mistake.. only to realize that thinking I made a mistake was a mistake! I had to move the 2x4 leg back to where I originally planned.

This weekend I should make some additional progress on the stand and I think I will order the rock. I need to at least get this stand inside to be ready for delivery. I have zero intentions of ever lifting this tank so I need to have everything ready lol

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Are you going to increase your water mixing station volume?

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Are you going to increase your water mixing station volume?
Welcome to the journey!

I think those two 55 gallon containers will be enough. I do not water change much, but this station will allow me to do it more. Even so, I do not want to change a large amount of water. I think I will go with either 5% weekly or 10% biweekly.

I just bought a pump off the sales forum here, will be here Monday; so I should be able to have everything done on that station by next weekend. Once it is plumbed water changes should take me just a few minutes tops.

The real challenge will be filling the new tank up! I can hold about 180 gallons with all the containers I currently have lol

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my tank this week and since it’s a fresh start I mixed the RODI water with the salt directly in the tank. Same reason because I didn’t have a container large enough.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back