AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!:

The deposit was put down yesterday! Step 1 completed ;Hilarious Now we wait 4-6-8-10 weeks? Additionally it came to my attention last night that this tank is actually 230g... so a title change is in order ;Shifty

I'll be designing the stand soon and will start getting it ready as soon as possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update!:

The deposit was put down yesterday! Step 1 completed ;Hilarious Now we wait 4-6-8-10 weeks? Additionally it came to my attention last night that this tank is actually 230g... so a title change is in order ;Shifty

I'll be designing the stand soon and will start getting it ready as soon as possible.

Then comes the excitement. Curious to see how your stand turns out.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a very rough design. The general idea is to have it match the fireplace.
20180819_101913.jpg
20180819_101934.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side project on the current tank.

Bought the Jebao dosing pump back in Feb. Tried setting it up a few nights ago and none of the pumps worked... After a discussion with my mentor I found a used bubble Magnus, first head needs to be replaced but I'm not worried about it, only need 2 now.
20180816_212224.jpg
20180818_152003.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So many people with No luck with jebao. I have one in addition to Magnus 101. I have no issues with jebao. Just strange. But again, I do check and clean lines off the doser monthly.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people with No luck with jebao. I have one in addition to Magnus 101. I have no issues with jebao. Just strange. But again, I do check and clean lines off the doser monthly.
Yea I heard good things, just got a dud of a unit. No big deal, the seller offered to replace it if I send it back. Still considering if its worth it to send back and then maybe sell the replacement cheap :confused:

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking too often about this new build... and I have two things at the top of my mind.

1) What size sump should I go with? 50/55/60? I'd like to maximize room under the tank for additional equipment, so I'm not quite sold on going for a 48" sump. I of course need it to hold enough water that drains from the main display if the check valve were to fail. Also the sump needs to hold at a minimum, an appropriate sized skimmer, Santa Monica Rain2 Scrubber and a return pump. Additionally I've been seeing more and more use of an external return pump... what are the advantages there? Thoughts on this?

2)
Last is the actual starting of the new tank (as in the cycle). I have a gallon of pond matrix in my sump, so no doubt even if I didn't cure my rock (which I will), I could start this tank in a day. However.... my main concern is that there is a bacteria imbalance in my system which causes problems with SPS. I am in the process of re-balancing it but only time will tell if I'm successful. I like the thought of transferring all the good stuff on that media, but not the bad.

I had another alternative thought as well... if I were to buy another gallon of pond matrix and request if my LFS would allow me to put it in their main display sump to seed it. The only issue I have there is I have seen parasites (ich) in their tank before and I do not want that in my tank.

My last option is somewhat the slowest but still quick (not for the fish though)... which is to copy how @PSXerholic started his new build. My fish would have to wait a couple extra days while things get established but this would allow me a truly fresh start. Let me know what would you do?

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't learned enough lessons about not quarantining fish.

That is going to be my next salt water addition is a decent 20 gallon quarantine tank.

Do you have any issues at all with your current tank?
Use some safety stop on your new fish and no need for the QT.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Use the biggest sump you can fit!

2)I would skip the external return. I believe most do it to avoid some of the heat the pump generates and to clear up some room in their sump. I'm always afraid of it running dry and breaking or leaking (no matter how slight) and it gets all over the floor instead of back into the sump!

3) What do you mean your bacteria is imbalanced? How can you tell? Do you mean chemical levels?

4) I would let the tank get established before transferring fish over. But that's tricky when you want to do a swap!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Use some safety stop on your new fish and no need for the QT.
55 gal sump and id wait at least 60 days (60 days of data( to assure levels are stable brfore adding SPS

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Use the biggest sump you can fit!
Knew this was coming from someone :rolleyes: :p

I agree on the external pump, no need for it and it will end up taking space away.

I will try to explain what I mean. So as a long time lurker now, I see on youtube and read on the forums about people having okay or "perfect" chemical levels, alk, calc, mag, etc. Many of these people show proof they maintain a stable system and show an ICP test with no indications that water chemistry is off. I've always found this to be very strange considering everyone preaches stability and maintaining parameters is the key to success (not disagreeing, this is the foundation). However, this leads me to wonder what is going on... is there a contaminate in the water we can't test for? Well... I've seen these people struggling running carbon or other media to remove those things... or a good water change schedule. Either way this could be the problem, but is unlikely if those mitigating controls are in place. This leads me to believe something else we can't see or measure is causing the problem... and the only thing left is bacteria. I'm a firm believer in good and bad bacteria just like anyone else.

Let's take humans as an example... we take a group and put them in a room. There is bacteria all around, some is okay and we can fight off with our immune systems, but others are bad and aggressive causing us to get sick. Eventually if the bad bacteria takes over it will dominate and everyone in the room will be sick or die. Why wouldn't this hold true in the aquarium? For whatever reason, the bad bacteria was given the right conditions to out compete the good... causing an imbalance and leading to coral death, with SPS being the most sensitive they die and LPS, softies look fine.

So that's the short, very scientific, version of what I mean. Does this make sense to anyone else or am I full of ....? :confused:

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanlife Aquariums has an 84x36x30 I think? Something like that, I can get you the exact dimensions later if you're interested. They said its $2500, brand new.

i would have jumped on it if the height was lower.
cant work with 30" height.

I had a tank with 27" and i cursed myself for it.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this comes along!
Just a short 4-6 week wait ;Hilarious I'll try to keep things interesting with my stand build, aquascaping, thoughts and occasional updates on my current 120. Let me know if you want to see something specific documented! I'll do my best!

Back