Animals that should be left in the wild

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chelsey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I've seen gonipora on here twice. What is important to note however is that many do fine, I know of one particular species (which has the long tentacles that attract buyers) that does poorly. If you research, you'll find that this species does poorly because it likes slightly polluted water (we keep our tanks too clean for them.

I have had 2 encrusting goni's that have done great. One I had for almost two years and its now healthy in my friends tank, and the second that I've had for a year. Like almost everyone said - research is key!
 
I dont think that is the case with micros. From my experiance people who get colonies order them as misc. favia or acanthastrea. I think it's just luck.


only the indo/bali red and grey "spiderman" micros come in this way, every other micro and non-indo acan was illegally smuggled into the country. I like the "saving them from polluted waters" argument though, it's the same argument I give my vegan roommate when I tell him that I'm eating fois gras because I'm "saving the duck from its bloated liver". come on guys, there's exactly 0% of coral collectors that say "hey, look, that water's polluted, lets save those corals", 100% of them say "hey, those little colorful ones will get us a few more $ than those brown ones, let's get as many of them as possible from as many places as possible".

edit - did anyone say starfish yet?
 
Three of my morphs came in as wild colonies to JNS aquatics. Misslabeled as favia from the soloman islands or bali. I guess some were 100+ polyps. red w/ green stripes, red w/ orqange stripes and all green.
 
my mistake, I've seen those come in from solomons as well, I was mainly referring to the ultra colored ones :)
 
I think people should need licenses to have dogs too!! I have four dogs... and all are very well cared for...we inherited our fourth from my neighbor across the street...

They thought they could have a lab puppy..leave her outside with no fence..and she'd just stay there..they didn't understand why she woulnd't stay in the yard...then they went on vacation for two weeks and left her outside..loose w/ one bowl of food which the squirrels ate w/in a few hours...

We took her in that night (over a yr ago) ... put some frontline on her..and called them when they got back..and asked if they even wanted her... they said no because she wouldn't stay in the yard... (idiots)... I told them we'd find her a home..just bring me her vet records...and guess what..they'd never taken her to a vet... ugh... this was the second dog they'd had since I lived here..their first one went missing ... now they have another (a peekapoo or something)..I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw they had another one..

Anyways..the pup got along w/ our dogs so well...she ended up staying...but needless to say..I don't think these neighbors should be allowed to have pets...

Sry..I know that was totally off topic..heh...
 
If we say that any animal that a lot of people can't raise because of societies own ignorance and stupidity, there wouldn't be many out there for anyone to keep. I can understand the argument, but because a handful of people don't know what they are doing with a certain animal is no reason to say it is better off not being kept at all. Some of us want to try harder things (and most of the time are successful). Any animal is susceptible to the owner not knowing what they are doing. Do you know how many damsels were used for cycling tanks back in the day and then flushed? I don't think rampant bad husbandry should be an indicator for a decision to remove something from circulation. After Nemo, all clownfish should have been removed from the market, given the number of idiots that had to have a Nemo fish and the unscrupulous businesses that sold the packages and say 'Just add salt'. I know it would be impossible to regulate who is eligible for what (if there were rules that you needed to be so experienced for this type of animal), but as I stated before, this comes down to the responsibility of the people buying things. As Americans (and humans), we don't like to take any blame for our own screw ups (in the marine hobby, this extends all the way back to the collector, as may of the harder to keep fish don't ship well or are caught by less than harmless means-this can be controlled by the collector/exporter with a little research-maybe adding sand to the shipping bags with sand loving wrasses like leopards, for example)... No one wins there. To go outside the marine world, think of how many people have to have that ferret at Christmas time because it is so cute. They get it home without having done any research on the animal, then discover it may have a tendancy to nip when younger, and is a eating and pooping machine. Less than a month later in most cases, they are looking to get rid of it and the animal suffers because the owner who had to have it a month earlier and didn't do any research is stuck with something that they can't get rid of. So the animal lives the life of a laboratory animal-starts to starve to death and wastes away. I've rescued ferrets from these situations. They are loving animals that are a lot of fun, if you have patience and know what they need. Should they, too, be stricken from the 'for sale' section because of irresponsible idiot owners? If so, no one would be able to get any kind of animal because cases can be found with all animals similar to the ferret situation.

In my eyes, if something can be kept, even if only by a few dedicated hobbyists, the animals need to be studied to be better understood. It would be nice if there were a way to make people be more responsible, but we all know how lazy the vast majority of people are and how impulsive most people are. In an extreme society, the answer would be, "well, since they can't figure out how to be responsibile for themselves because they are too lazy to research something before buying, we should take it all away from them'. I hope to never live in that society (though we are closer and closer every day...).

Now, keepig a list of harder to keep corals for people who want to do the research and see if they can provide the requirements is a great idea. There are a good many animals that many just won't be able to keep based on experience and equipment. A list of harder to keep corals and fish would let them know they are getting into something a little more complicated (but once again, all lists are useless if we can't restrain ourselves from impulse purchases and research something first...).

I feel really badly for the animals that get purchased by irresponsble people, but this happens in every animal hobby. It's really sad, but in the marine hobby, you don't learn new things about the animals interactions for future hobbyist without studying the animal. Think about it. Ten years ago, Acropora would likely have been on this list because very few people were able to keep them for any amount of time. Now, if you look at how many people have tanks filled with acropora, just in the US (and from what I understand, European tanks are all sps, if Daniel Knop has any idea what he is talking about in his publications-I have to doubt him sometimes, though). I have a scientists mind and don't believe on giving up on something because others can't gain an understanding... Sorry if anyone feels flamed by this, but it all comes down to personal responsibility. We love to pass the buck and make excuses, but in the end it comes down to us. Blame who you want, but we all know where the fault lays (and seemingly, no one wants to ante up)... We are a society of blamers (this rant has come from years of pent up angst on the subject of personal responsibility-or the lack thereof-which I see less and less of each day). I try to be an optimistic pessimist...
 
Last edited:
Great points Gflat......Two of the 3 LFS here in Kalamazoo won't sell certain corals to people if they don't feel the have the experience to keep them. I have witnessed both places tell people after getting a background on thier set up and thier experience tell people "no I won't sell that to you" and have these people get ticked and start name calling and stuff right in the store. But they both feel they have a responsibility to the creatures that they sell, which says alot about how they take responsibility for thier role in the hobby. Then what happens is these people go over to the 3rd LFS here in town and buy whatever they want cause this place don't care about that. Hell they even sell fish full of ick and knowingly do it. This place is called "Deep Sea" but here in town people call it " The Dead Sea" because of all the stuff they kill. I think one of the ways to save the oceans is to shut down shops like this because they kill far more then they sell and the take no responsibility for thier role as a business or care takers of the animals they sell.
 
I met a guy in Gulfport, Ms. once who was talking about his FOWLR 55 gallon with firefish, yellow tangs, clowfish, wrasses, and the newest addition-the red volitan lion. He bought them all from the same store -two weeks from start to finish of purchases. He had the tank set up for two weeks before buying the fish. He said the store owner was a friend of a friend, so he trusted him... One-tank hadn't cycled, two-too many fish, three-non compatible fish. The store owner knew all of this, as he sold the guy the setup... I couldn't believe what I was hearing... It is a shame. Both are to blame there, but the store owner obviously has no ethics.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new