Another Acropora ID

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
2,054
Location
Switzerland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys

A good friend got 3 huge colonies of this coral and just cut me a „frag“…

Anyone an idea what this is?

he does not know what it is :/

430F6AC2-3BEA-46DC-93A8-AE0C00C0DD84.jpeg
9DAFAD36-C1E1-4D78-A65E-C1E73A2074FF.jpeg
2D7F1C9B-B021-4D86-814A-C09509BB8EF8.jpeg

9BFA28FF-D1F7-4496-827A-8B91689F1A77.jpeg
 
Complete guess and a trade name not scientific, by comparing to things in my tank, the blue pics look similar to BC Battlejuice, not sure though. There’s a few people on here I’m sure would know, off top of my head Sculpin is usually good for an ID. Sorry couldn’t be more help.
 
Not real good with these types of acropora but acropora cytherea or acropora hyanthicus are my top two guesses. I also agree subulata looks possible but I normally see them with finer branches (not at all an id method though) and more uniform spaceing between coralites. Hyanthicus have a lot of the clusters of coralites near the branch ends like the daylight pic shows. Main problem is it’s small and not really new growth, some of the axials look like some hyperplasia is taking place maybe? Looking forward to an update after more growth!
 
Acropora cytherea and plana are both reasonable options. Growth form when it gets bigger will likely be telling.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new