Another Angelfish in trouble

  • Thread starter Thread starter TeraHz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
This is a great case where buying cheap fish from the big box store is almost more expensive than paying up for a better specimen with fish husbandry...and more labor intensive...and more lethal... I learned my lesson when I bought 6 fish from Petco and every one of them died from Velvet in less than 2-3 days in my QT tank. I am so glad that you are going through the QT process. Good luck!
So I have concluded that both the FW dip and the copper are stressful enough for it to not want to swim.
Soon after the video above, the fish went on its side and never tried to swim again. A couple of hours ago I decided to pull it out of the copper tank and put it in a small specimen box with fresh SW just to give it a closer inspection one final time. To my surprise, the fish is swimming again... And hasn't stopped. I added a small airstone. I guess if it makes it through the night, I'll move it into its own 10g tank without copper and try every possible food I can think of to see if it will take anything (clamps, mysis, worms, pods, brine shrimp, seaweed...). I still doubt it will make it, but until it's swimming, I'll keep trying.

Time for bed.
 
Yep - Maroon clown will batter this fish to death if given an opportunity - One of the nastiest of clowns.
Glad fish is swimming. Take coppersafe up a little to 2.15 minimum as it does nothing at 1.5 and begins to work at 2.0. Add airstone and monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit.


One of my brothers decided to purchase a flame angle for my SW tank brother. Well in the tank there were two black Ocy clowns. They took him out in one day. When my tank brother go him he was in his side and couldn’t be saved he passed sadly. Clowns in general especially in smaller tanks just have a think to murder anything that swims around and smaller than they are haha. My brothers Ocy pair the female was 3” at least if not 3.5”.

But Maroons? Good luck! I’m afraid I can’t put anything it’s size or smaller with my two 3” maroons! They even attack my food tongs!! Hahah!
 
The flame has gone out.

Lesson learned. My kids said I'm not allowed to buy fish from Petco anymore (this was the first and last time) lol.

Thank you all for the info and help. Hopefully, this is the last thread I start in this subforum.
 
Sick fish are in all stores. I’ve bought plenty of healthy fish from petco:).
 
Sick fish are in all stores. I’ve bought plenty of healthy fish from petco:).
My clown is pretty healthy (also Petco fish - I got them together). It's eating and is not bothered by the copper treatment.

There are never guarantees. Only odds. And it looks like the odds are in favor of the several online shops that QT their fish (for premium $).
 
Sick fish are in all stores. I’ve bought plenty of healthy fish from petco:).

This is the case, I just think you will see lower numbers vs a petco store.

Fact does remain, you will find healthy fish at petco to. It has been seen on my end though that more sick fish will come from a petco vs a LFS.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new