View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the specific parts used in this repair:
2x 25PX470MEFC8X11.5
1x UVC2G4R7MPD
1x EEU-FC1E470H

You can definitely go higher on 470uF caps, just watch the diameter as the space is fairly tight.
Are these parts still the suggested ones? Have a few EB832s that need repair and I’m debating whether to do the capacitor upgrade or replace with another cheapo PSU.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these parts still the suggested ones? Have a few EB832s that need repair and I’m debating whether to do the capacitor upgrade or replace with another cheapo PSU.
Only if you have the older EB832. The newer ones have a Meanwell PSU in which case you would replace the entire PSU. See the second picture in post #34 for an example of the Meanwell PSU. Post #1 shows the older style PSU. Unfortunately they are not interchangeable due to changes made to the printed circuit board.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you have the older EB832. The newer ones have a Meanwell PSU in which case you would replace the entire PSU. See the second picture in post #34 for an example of the Meanwell PSU. Post #1 shows the older style PSU. Unfortunately they are not interchangeable due to changes made to the printed circuit board.

I am aware. I am asking if @_AV still suggests those exact capacitors for the repair, or if he is using something else now (larger, etc).

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware. I am asking if @_AV still suggests those exact capacitors for the repair, or if he is using something else now (larger, etc).
Yeah, I kind of figured you would know that but decided to post it anyways to help others out. I did change out my caps with those suggested ones and it's been working great ever since. But then again, I don't know if there is an upgraded list of capacitors.:cool:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also on that note (interchangeability), wouldn't it be a simple adapter board with risers to go from the pin layout of YS-5V1ASD to IRM-05-12 (Meanwell)? They are essentially the same size modules so it should fit. These days little PCBs cost like $1.50, it's great.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.07.59 PM.png

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been thinking about a board adapter as well for meanwell. But so far we've had great success with just upgrading the caps to those originally recommended. I now have a jar full of old caps that were replaced for many reefers. Good feedback also on the upgraded PSUs surviving power outages, which were the usual cause for the old ones to fail.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on that note (interchangeability), wouldn't it be a simple adapter board with risers to go from the pin layout of YS-5V1ASD to IRM-05-12 (Meanwell)? They are essentially the same size modules so it should fit. These days little PCBs cost like $1.50, it's great.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.07.59 PM.png

Just wild. 10 boards is $1.50 SHIPPED.
Assuming they work and the meanwell fits, I would be happy to share to anyone who wants one for free. I only need one or two.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 10.27.32 PM.png

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @_AV - thank you so much for doing this thread. You're definitely providing a great service to the hobby.

I have a faulty EB832 and I'd like to try and fix it by watching one of your videos (plug to the FixReef YouTube channel). I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in terms of which problem I have:
  • The EB8 powers up, connects to Apex, and I'm able to control the outlets (corresponding orange light next to each number turns on), but no power is actually going to the outlet.
  • I don't hear the click noise I usually hear when I turn an outlet off and on.
  • When I look into the 4/8 slot, I see a solid red light as opposed to a blinking red light.
Any tips would be great appreciated!

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @_AV - thank you so much for doing this thread. You're definitely providing a great service to the hobby.

I have a faulty EB832 and I'd like to try and fix it by watching one of your videos (plug to the FixReef YouTube channel). I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in terms of which problem I have:
  • The EB8 powers up, connects to Apex, and I'm able to control the outlets (corresponding orange light next to each number turns on), but no power is actually going to the outlet.
  • I don't hear the click noise I usually hear when I turn an outlet off and on.
  • When I look into the 4/8 slot, I see a solid red light as opposed to a blinking red light.
Any tips would be great appreciated!
Does the red light still stay solid when you turn on all eight outlets?

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the red light still stay solid when you turn on all eight outlets?
@_AV The red light does stay solid when I turn on all eight outlets. I'm not sure if this is of importance, but I'm only seeing the solid red light in the 8th outlet and I'm not seeing any light in the 4th outlet even though I was under the impression I was supposed to see red lights in each outlet.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be only one red light. If it stays on, the 12v PSU is probably ok. Although, I've seen otherwise, rarely.
If the PSU is fine, something else is preventing the signal getting from the controller to the relays. This would require a more in depth diagnostics unfortunately.

jjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wild. 10 boards is $1.50 SHIPPED.
Assuming they work and the meanwell fits, I would be happy to share to anyone who wants one for free. I only need one or two.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 10.27.32 PM.png
Curious if this works. Mine just went out with no red light on the 12v power supply. Im about to order caps to hopefully fix it but would love the upgrade if it works.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if this works. Mine just went out with no red light on the 12v power supply. Im about to order caps to hopefully fix it but would love the upgrade if it works.

Can confirm it works. Posted here so I stop redirecting this thread:

IMG_5622.jpeg

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For general awareness. You can see that my original post was censored by a moderator. The part censored out was the constructive criticism of Neptune's approach to the design of EB832 and the role their equipment plays in this hobby.
1613755629154.png

I have a copy of the original post and it will appear in a different venue.

I didn't realize that was going on here. That makes me wonder about some other advice I've been given on here.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to repair my EB832 with the information provided here and assistance of an electrical engineer friend of mine doing the soldering. Still might replaced the EB832 with an old style 832. Just don't trust the EB832. I have actually worked to remove the Apex single point failure for a more distributed system. Kessils on there own app and plugged in separately. Vortex powerheads run on there own app also. Heaters on a wifi capable inkbird. Only thing my Apex powers is my UV light. Return pump and skimmer runs 24/7 so nothing dependent on the EB832. Honestly won't replace any Apex equipment if it fails on my 300 or 100 gallon tanks. All my WAV pumps have locked up just after the warranty ran out so they got replaced with maxspect gyres and Vortex MP-40's

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used EB832 and outlets 1, 2, 5, 6 are not working. The lights turn on/off but the relay does not click. Any guidance on where to look at? PSUs are working fine. All other outlets are working fine.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used EB832 and outlets 1, 2, 5, 6 are not working. The lights turn on/off but the relay does not click. Any guidance on where to look at? PSUs are working fine. All other outlets are working fine.

Any damage on the back of the board? I've seen a couple with the sensing resistors blown up and causing no power at outlets.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the 12v PSU is fine under load?
Relays not clicking can only mean one of the two things. Either the 12v PSU is bad or you have problem with aquabus comm. If you see the unit in modules, do a firmware update on it, even if it says it has the latest.
Current sensing resistors do blow up, but they are independent of the relays in the sense that the relays should work regardless of the resistors.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I replaced the PSU with a new Mean well (with Harold’s adapter board). No visible damage.

If I leave the damaged outlets ON then I can notice sporadic relay clicks. Very sporadic.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back