Another attempt at fixing Apex EB832

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea, I replaced the PSU with a new Mean well (with Harold’s adapter board). No visible damage.

If I leave the damaged outlets ON then I can notice sporadic relay clicks. Very sporadic.
If you hear clicking - good sign especially if you turn them on and off in Fusion. Also try going to tasks and do a software update on the EB832

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already did a firmware update to the EB832, no joy. The clicks happen randomly only if I leave the outlets ON.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure voltage at the 12v output when it hits the board out of your 12v PSU when you have all relays on. If it doesn't show a stable near 12v output, you might have messed up the traces replacing the PSU. I've repaired plenty of those as well.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the EB832 again, cleaned it some more. After a while, I plugged it back and it seems to be working now. No idea of what was the issue but one thing for sure is that the unit had some humidity inside.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my next issue is this:
1692935395766.png

The EB832 I just bought shows a wrong voltage. The first one is my old/good EB832 showing the correct house voltage. It was also showing wattage even when nothing was plugged. I ran the eb8zero 3 command and that fixed the wattage but not the voltage.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit has bigger problems unfortunately. I'll bet that the eb8zero didn't actually fix the wattage issue, but rather covered it up. If you were to plug in a device with a known wattage consumption, it is likely that the reading will be wrong as well.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The voltage is slowly going down. We will see what happens after a few hours.

1692936181850.png

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at this. From half of the outlets working then all outlets working intermittently and reporting wrong voltage. I then opened it to check it again and now I have no outlets working (except the 24dc, which always work).

The only thing that I notice is that the buck converter U13 gets very hot. I had new ones of those, so I replaced it, did not fix the issue, the new one also gets very hot.

Believe me, if I were in the US I would send the unit to @_AV , but I'm not and it is cost prohibitive. I guess I learned a lesson about not buying used stuff, it was obviously humid/salty inside. I don't think that the seller know about the issue, but probably storing it with salty water inside damaged something as time passed.

What a bummer. If there is any idea of what to check or things to try, please let me know. I have another (broken) EB832 on hand that I can swap some parts.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a short somewhere down from U13. Perhaps U1 or the can trans or the main controller. U13 always gets really hot under load. There is clearly a load somewhere and it's not a good one.

Last edited:

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a short somewhere down from U13. Perhaps U1 or the can trans or the main controller. U13 always gets really hot under load. There is clearly a load somewhere and it's not a good one.
Well, there is the load of the Apex Head Unit.

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 failed EB832 (2 successfully fixed with help here), my Trident has decided to join the fun. In this case, the pump seems to work fine, but none of the solenoids are firing. Anyone know where to check/look on the PCB to see if it is something obvious?

A.Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I could use an EB832 guru! @gveng or anyone else with great ideas I'd greatly appreciate some advice. My EB832 failed in the usual way. I replaced the 12V PSU, great now there's power but that unearthed another issue, so I replaced the CAN transceiver, now everything seems to be working properly...except the fan.
I bought a replacement 5V fan but it just twitched and squealed so I checked the voltage. I'm getting a constant 12VDC instead of 5V. So I figured engh, fan constantly on, not a bad fail state, I'll just get a 12V fan. Ordered one, hooked it up and it works but I compared the airflow to a newer EB832 that has never failed and that one puts out noticeably more airflow (which is saying something since these aren't exactly high airflow fans) so my half butt solution probably isn't a good one. For reference, the old semi-repaired fan contacts put out (according to my multimeter) 11V 16mA and the newer never failed EB832 puts out 4V 21mA.
Anyone have any recommendations? Things I can test? Things I can try replacing?
Having opened up the unit, ordered the 12V PSU, then ordered the CAN, then the fan, this EB832 has been sitting open in a common area of my house far too long relative to my wife's tolerance of my tinkering.
THANK YOU!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back