Another Case of Tank Problems

Dr.Tankenstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'd really appreciate some help with this as I'm about to my wits end.

Tank specs: 40g breeder plumbed down to a 20g sump. 1 year old tank. Started with dry rock and cycled to for 2 months. Small sand bed. A gyre and chinese MP10 for flow on opposite sides. 2 older (5 years) kessil 360s that have been checked via par meter - 200ish at the bottom of the sand 300ish 6 inches under the water

Filtration: A ball of chaeto grown with an amazon LED that grows well. Filter sock changed 1x per week. Older (5 years) reef octopus skimmer and a carbon reactor. Return pump is a jebao - dont remember what kind but its enough to get the job done. Water is made from a 4 stage RODI unit that was recently checked via ICP test - came out with all zeros. Salt is just the usual IO.

Livestock: Green chromis, coral beauty angel, yellow coris and naokos wrasses. A few snails. A few hammers, blastos, and acans that I've had since the beginning of the tank.

Chemistry:
1.026 via recently calibrated refractometer, consistently there with ATO unit
temp between 78 - 79.5 via apex controller hooked to two heaters
Alk: Stable around 9.0 checked weekly
Ca: 440
Mg: 1400
Nitrate: Dosed to be 12 using pharmaceutical grade
PO4: 0.02-0.04

Rough tank history: After cycling the tank did quite well. Slowly added fish and the aforementioned coral. Had a decent sized acan garden going. Then for some reason about 5-6 months in acans started receding and dying of unknown cause. Seemed that it may have been bacterial as there was rapid spread from one colony and then to surrounding colonies. After this the tank bounced around a bit between good consistent growth and stagnation. A few months ago, got an ICP test that showed elevated tin and removed a powerhead that had rusted (also added a polyfilter at this point, since taken out), as well as changing how my filter socks are washed according to my LFS owner(orginally was spraying with water from hose and drying, moved to bleaching and then using dechlorinator + RO washes to remove). After this the tank did well for a month, probably better than it ever has. Growth took off and I was quite excited! Unfortunately in the last month this has stalled and in fact receded. I had two test SPS frags in the tank that went from thriving to basically dead in a matter of weeks.

Of note, there have been essentially no fish mortalities in the tank other than two that were within a few days of getting them shipped in. Fish are fat and happy. Just corals seem to hate the tank.

Would really appreciate any next steps from here as I'm out of ideas of what could be so drastically wrong with this tank. I've had saltwater tanks in the past and my brother did quite well with this exact setup but I think there is something systemically wrong with the tank that I am missing. The bad times have been far more numerous than the good.

Thanks for any advice, please let me know of any more info that would be helpful if it isnt posted here.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!
I would suspect the coral beauty is nipping at your corals. Even if you have never caught her, I bet she is. That is my first thought especially when you said acans began going out of nowhere and now some sps. Fish will change as they age and sometimes just begin nipping at things and trying them out. I have had to get rid of a couple due to this and hated it.
Why do you dose nitrate? In that size tank and the fish, you should not need to do that. Just curious.
Now, the acans would be getting more light than they wanted at 200PAR on bottom. They usually like less light. The sps should be fine though.
I doubt anything is drastically wrong. So, take a deep breath. Try moving the coral beauty for 6 months and see if anything changes. Just one quick solution. Maybe a friend can hold her or your LFS if you trust them.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tankenstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it was her, this actually predates her but its definitely possible.

I dose nitrate as for the life of me I cant keep it above zero. The skimmer is oversized for the tank and the fuge probably is too, so despite feeding the fish to the point they wont hardly eat anymore it always seems to crash and I get dinos

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you sound like you did have a disease in the acans. I lost all montiporas in my large system over 4 months and it was heartbreaking.
Do you get any algae besides the cheato growing? How much rock? What else is in the sump?
I have a heck of a time diagnosing without seeing the system or talking directly.
Can you take pictures of the tank, the corals, the filtration, sump, etc?
I also have no experience with LEDs, so no help if light is an issue.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tankenstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are pictures.

Occasional algae that looks like hair algae on the sand and some brown film algae - rock is as pictured with a few more pieces in the refugium.

IMG_3001.jpg IMG_2999.jpg IMG_2997.jpg IMG_2996.jpg IMG_2995.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where was your rock from and how did you treat it before starting the tank. I think my rock is my main problem with algae. However, I cannot replace the mass quantity I have without getting a good divorce lawyer. So, I adapt.
Most of the set up looks good.
No baffles in the sump, but I do not have any in my 20g Sump on my 40g Dt/20g QT set up either. I also have never successfully kept chaeto. No idea why there.
May need to do a full scrub cleanout. Check out some of @brandon239 for directions. Basically, you remove the livestock into a separate bin and remove rock, sand and scrub the tank free of algae. Now the rocks should be scrubbed with metal brushes or knife to get the algae at the roots and then rinsed in saltwater.
Sand can be thoroughly washed in tap water and reused or kept clean for later replacing the sandbed completely.
Then scrub the tank clean and put it all back in.
I scrub the corals for algae too. You may also consider the sump cleaning too.
This is frustrating, but you can get it under control.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ho, it does not sound to me like there is anything drastically wrong. Your fish population seem to be healthy and happy and that is a great start, corals then take you to the next level in terms of husbandry requirements.

I would be interested to hear about what your PH and temperature are doing. Stability is important for corals.

There may be some residual metal toxicity from your corrosion event, this can be absorbed by rock and sand and leech back but that's a maybe. I try to use no chemicals at all in cleaning or washing anything that goes near the tank because they can nuke stuff if it is not completely removed so bleaching/chlorination of filter socks is not something I would consider.

Let the algae run its course, watch nutrient input/export and monitor temp, PH and salinity. Wait a month....:) repeat.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tankenstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeniseAndy I've been thinking about doing a thorough cleaning of the system so I'll get on that. The rock is from a couple of different tanks - was stored dry for a few years and pressure washed before going in this tank.

@Slawman pH fluctuates from 8.1 to 8.3 consistently daily as per APEX pH probe, temp is kept between 78 and 79.5 by the APEX and two heaters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose nitrate as for the life of me I cant keep it above zero. The skimmer is oversized for the tank and the fuge probably is too, so despite feeding the fish to the point they wont hardly eat anymore it always seems to crash and I get dinos
How often do you harvest your chaeto?

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tankenstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I try to harvest it only when it really needs it right now to stunt the growth a bit - if I harvest half thats when the nutrients really plunge. Lighting for the fuge is 11PM to 5AM every night - dont think I had mentioned that before

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I try to harvest it only when it really needs it right now to stunt the growth a bit - if I harvest half thats when the nutrients really plunge. Lighting for the fuge is 11PM to 5AM every night - dont think I had mentioned that before
Perfect. I know people who think they will raise nutrients if they harvest it. I can't say I understand why your coral are struggling but I hope you figure it out!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back