Another case of zoas just melting away...

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed one of my colonies of zoas is slowly melting away. I started this colony as 2 polyps and now have over 30 and half are melting away and getting worse every day. All the zoas around it are doing great and there are no bugs of any kind :squigglemouth:

Parameters
Calcium: 400
ALK: 9.6
Magnesium: 1420
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
P04: 0

THis is just the hobby of keeping zoas I guess, this isn't the first time I have a colony just melt for no reason.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
painful isnt it. i paid a small fortune for some beautiful palys only to watch them slowly wither away over a couple weeks...all the while the zoas and palys around them were thriving. sighhhhh

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
painful isnt it. i paid a small fortune for some beautiful palys only to watch them slowly wither away over a couple weeks...all the while the zoas and palys around them were thriving. sighhhhh

Yup I have seen it many times. I have a big colony of jokers that grew and then all of a sudden just melted away. I have had these for over 6 months in the same spot and have grown great, last few days they have been melting :(

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually cut away the affected polyps and closest polyps to the bad ones. usually once i cut away all the bad stuff, then the others do just fine. i found this really to be the only way that works for me.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually cut away the affected polyps and closest polyps to the bad ones. usually once i cut away all the bad stuff, then the others do just fine. i found this really to be the only way that works for me.

Problem is the rock they are attached to is the bottom rock of my aquascape. There is no way i could get the rock out.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back