Another Chiller question

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My octo tank (Red Sea reefer 250 (66 gallons all in) is all set up and fully cycled (been cycling for a while, I set it up in July and just added a clean up crew/future octo snacks). I have kept saltwater for several years and I have a Red Sea 900xxl (~240 gal) and that’s how my 250 freed up about a year ago.

I live in Paso Robles and have seen ruby octopuses in the tide pools nearby so my plan is to get one myself (I’ve read up on it and I can take one as a pet with a fishing license, subject to some limitations).

Long story short, my question is what size chiller I should get for the tank to maintain 55-60 - assume the room is up to 80 on really hot days and that the JBJ calculator says a 1/10 even with the large temperature differential. But I am nervous (and feel a great deal of responsibility caring for an octo), so I’m probably going to get a 1/5 during the BRS Black Friday deals. Any thoughts? Chiller Calculator - JBJ Aquariums
Are there any draw backs to going with the bigger chiller (besides cost, of course…)? It will be in a separate equipment room from the tank.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool about the ruby octopus! Can’t wait to see the pics.

When it comes to heating & cooling - the golden rule is that it’s always better to have a little more capacity than a little Less.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back