Another conversation about how to chemically reduce nitrates.

The link does snot help by itself. Could you elaborate what you think is relevant about that or how that applies?

Are you saying nature is not a perfect subject to model? I'm not sure what your point is, but I was a Phil. minor once, so I'll bite. :)

-Matt

The argument you're making against carbon dosing above I think falls into this category and would be a fallacy. A filtration mechanism's existence or non existence in nature alone plays no role in whether or not it ought to be used in our systems.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate a skeptic to keep everyone honest
 
A skeptic among believers...lol.

Keep in mind that reefkeeping was dominated by believers using the "hi tech" approach in the USA until the skeptics (Berliners) modeled nature more closely and gave us the Berlin Method.

Smart scientists and engineers model nature all the time, BTW...very wise strategy that generates superior, more sustainable results. Basically the opposite is true for less nature-inspired solutions.

Look at something like weed or pest control for some obvious examples. Human brains come up with crap like DDT. Wonderful outcomes - but nobody wanted to talk side-effects until it was too late. There are dozens of examples like this. By contrast, by modeling nature we come up with solutions like BTi, beneficial nematodes, etc.

-Matt
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new