Another Diatoms/Dinos/Cyano post

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greyhound
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Greyhound

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2025
Messages
60
Reaction score
21
Location
Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo below. Which is it? Does it matter? I've had a diatom bloom before I was able to ID on my kids microscope, haven't been able to ID this one yet but looks a little different. Decreases a little in the dark but doesn't go away fully.
I've had it for about 2 months now and it isn't going away. Been doing 20-30% water changes weekly. Tank is 4.5 months old.
32g Biocube
Light AI 16 Prime
Salinity 35
Alk 8.0
pH 8.2
Ca 450
Mag 1300
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Corals and anemones doing well but I keep cleaning around them.
Do I just keep doing WCs and wait it out? Expand my CUC? Do I need to worry about Phos/nitrate? Seems could be either high or low and be a problem either way. What has R2R community had most success with?
2e74be08-2a4f-4ddd-8577-8a941a79b994.jpg
 
Looks like you have a piece of fishing line in there.
 
Looks very much like Dinos to me (currently fighting them too). Do you have a recent Phosphate
test? If dinos, you definitely want to stop WC.
 
What are nitrate & phosphate parameters?
 
Full tank shot? Is it in the sand, too, or just in that one spot?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new