OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day in and I can see the UV knocked out half the dinos.. will see later tonight what day two brings..

You need a UV for beat dinos. For 6-8 months at night.

Wow that long.. is there a reason you only run UV at night? Would it be okay to run 24/7?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day in and I can see the UV knocked out half the dinos.. will see later tonight what day two brings..

Wow that long.. is there a reason you only run UV at night? Would it be okay to run 24/7?
Because they only go into the water coloum at night ...so you only need too have it on at night ..

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they only go into the water coloum at night ...so you only need too have it on at night ..

I understand that.. just want to know if it has any negative effects running 24/7..easier to leave it running all day/night.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it will be a problem...you will see a big improvement over the next few days ...dont forget too add phytoplankton and copepods...and bacteria this will all help getting balance back in your tank ..

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do one yet ..I'd wait a little longer ...you can do small water changes..10-20 liters each day and try and siphon as much of the dinos out as you can ..also clean your filter socks every day..

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or Dinos will be back...
Dinos will only come back if there continues too be an unbalance in microbiology in the tank.or no3 and p04 arent kept at measurable levels....adding copepods and phytoplankton will help keeping dinos in check ...yes they will probably always be in the tank ...but are out competed...

MichaelvO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i should be careful saying this but after 4 days all the dinos are gone.. still using the uv though..
after i put the uv in my tank i blow my reef and my stones off with a feeding pipette

ill add a picture of my tank with dinos

5DB275A1-F536-4EBA-A9C1-49C010225E1D.jpeg CE6C930E-A70C-4702-9E4B-3728ADAC697C.jpeg

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had it worse then me.. I did not have much on the sand bed.. Was it covering your rock and corals?
keep them fingers crossed .. I wish you luck.. got a pic of it now?

MichaelvO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had it worse then me.. I did not have much on the sand bed.. Was it covering your rock and corals?
keep them fingers crossed .. I wish you luck.. got a pic of it now?
It was on my rocks.. luckily I didn’t have much corals yet.
thank you ill need it!

after 4 days with the uv, copepods and phytoplankton it looks like this (pictures)

pictures are a little bad in quality because my tank is looking green i didnt clean it and haven’t done any wc while battling the dinos.

9E43A73A-2182-468E-BB95-18E93133D384.jpeg 7E135131-75C4-438E-8659-7317093EEF8D.jpeg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, what's the reason for not cleaning the glass?
To allow algea to grow . To help out compete the Dinos....have you checked out my build thread around page 20 i think .. I've now been dino free for about a year now I think .

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just getting ready to thank you again. My tank is thriving again. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but what you had me do,.... has produced amazing results.. Corals are looking better than ever and fish looking great.. in less then 4 day!!!

I will keep this thread updated to help anyone else fighting Dinos.

Thanks so much … Do you ever sleep, you post replies all day and night!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just getting ready to thank you again. My tank is thriving again. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but what you had me do,.... has produced amazing results.. Corals are looking better than ever and fish looking great.. in less then 4 day!!!

Thanks for the update .!
Glad to share my experience with you ...and I'm happy you can enjoy your tank again ...
Keep adding copepods and phytoplankton..
Happy reefing ..!!!

MichaelvO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice to read that u are beating it!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back