Another easy trick for higher pH in the summer months

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are like me and live in a tight house and have pH troubles in the summer time one more EASY trick is to have a fresh air intake on your hvac unit (as opposed to recirculating air). It should take no longer than 30 minutes to install and have a vent outside your house.

Make sure you put your fan on 24/7 to keep the fresh air circulating.

Other things that I have tried that has worked

- Using Randy's sodium hydroxide recipe
- Fresh air intake from skimmer (Still doing)
-Kalkwasser (prefer 2 part though)
- Opening all windows (obviously not possible now, hence the issue)
- Use the co2 /silica remover BRS resin method for top off water + WC
- Fuge ( I think is over rated for pH,)

Each morning now my pH has been higher and higher.

5daydix2.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house leaks enough that I don't need to create a vent to bring in fresh air! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about an HRV or ERV? Or just running a tube from outside to before HVAC's air handler?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed an Aprilaire system a couple weeks ago, so far has helped the PH out. It runs 20 mins an hour and can be adjusted for more or less

Anders123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful running your hvac fan full time.
Quick long story. Bought a new condo in Florida years ago. Moved in and noticed that the humidity was always high in our unit. So bad that we would get mold around the vents and had to run a dehumidifier during the summer months. My brother got into hvac and was visiting on vacation. He noticed that the fan was constantly running and was just cycling the outside condenser unit off and one. I always thought it was a good thing because it was constantly circulating air but that turned out to be our problem.
The way my brother explained it to me was when the condenser(outside unit) is running it is cooling the coil in the air handler(inside unit). The humidity condenses on the cold coil which drips off to the drain line which is drained to the outside. Well when the fan is constantly running and the condenser turns off the moisture that is still remaining on the coil evaporates back into the air. I ended up rewiring the thermostat to run as it should and the house dried up within a week.
Might not be an issue in other parts of the country but something to keep an eye on.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back