Another fish death by overflow.. help?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 6 months ago, a wrasse jumped into the corner overflow and got stuck in the pipes and died (And flooded the floors).
So I decided to use a plastic sewing canvas to cover the over flow. Today I find another wrasse had jumped and got stuck on the overflow cover and died.

I really do not want any fish getting stuck in the overflow area due to it being a pain to get out.

any ideas how I can prevent any more casualties? should I just remove the cover and stick a mesh over the pipes to prevent anyone from going in? any other ideas?

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second it's a good choice. Also getting/building a tank cover might solve the issue also not buying jumping fish like the wrasses might reduced chances of getting fish trapped at the overflow.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've mentioned, I do have a cover. Mesh cover a DIY from BRS. It jumped between the cover into the overflow cover which was like half an inch gap. Fish was pretty big too at 4.5" big

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use a piece of mess or egg crate to place between the overflow and the tank cover.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64f706d95b3de80d636b5ea29b273933.jpg

Or

a1b6b6ac729b74d4733f437da112fac5.jpg

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mesh on the overflow. the fish got stuck between cover and mesh :(
oh man that's just bad luck. if they are getting stuck in the mess then check the size of the openings in the mess. make sure they are 1/4 or less.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the plastic canvas thingy that @Flippers4pups used. I wish I took a photo of the fish and the canvas before I took it down so you guys can get a better idea.

For now I took the canvas mesh off and covered the pipe with netting to keep fish from going inside. I'll have to figure out how to build up on it to press against the lid with no gap

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51+CI0pRy-L._SX425_.jpg
You might want to consider using plastic needlepoint mesh used for crafts. The holes are small, and the material is pretty stiff. It's also cheap. Look for it in the needlecraft section at places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnne Fabrics. It comes in many shapes and sizes.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I used. I guess I wasn't explaining it right. The fish still got between that and the lid (Which is the screen from BRS DIY kit).

I need to figure out how to raise it where the fish can't get in between

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a pic for me @Flippers4pups ?

I just had the corner overflow panels that came from my sump tank, that I removed. They just happened to be the same as the marineland stock overflow panels on my new DT. I only cut about an inch of the top and notched the sides to fit under my canopy. I originally had cut a piece of plywood, painted it and put holes in it for ventilation. Zip tied them to the cut overflow piece. I'll take a picture of one now in place and out for you.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a screen top already, just take some thin plastic, cut it the height you need to take up the difference between the overflow box and the screen top and warm it up. Then bend to the same radius as the top of the overflow box. Then zip tie it to the weir teeth so it won't move.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a screen top already, just take some thin plastic, cut it the height you need to take up the difference between the overflow box and the screen top and warm it up. Then bend to the same radius as the top of the overflow box. Then zip tie it to the weir teeth so it won't move.

That is a genius idea. I will have to do that!! Thank you!! I will have to find some plastic to use.

Back