876f47ee1e69b7661d2b6ae71624bfc8.jpg

Basically like a fence on top the overflow

That would work too!

ntayler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/4" thick black acrylic scrap I had for my 2 overflows. Cardboard template cut to perfect size, draw a grid pattern on masking tape over acrylic, and drill a bunch of holes so that they are nice and even (enough holes to ensure that it could drain the same amount of water that can pass through the weirs, in the rare freak event that a complete blockage of weirs occurs). Mine just rest on top of the overflow, but if you are concerned about it being knocked askew, it would be easy to glue some retaining pins/pieces to secure it best. I could have finished the edges much better, but my tank is too tall to see them:).

And DIY screen tops of course as well...getting ready to transfer a malanurus and another goby from QT. My last goby (orange spot) decided to carpet surf, so I made the tops right after. They are super easy and cheap, ordered the plastic screen from BRS, and frame and spline from home depot.

IMG_0041-2.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/4" thick black acrylic scrap I had for my 2 overflows. Cardboard template cut to perfect size, draw a grid pattern on masking tape over acrylic, and drill a bunch of holes so that they are nice and even (enough holes to ensure that it could drain the same amount of water that can pass through the weirs, in the rare freak event that a complete blockage of weirs occurs). Mine just rest on top of the overflow, but if you are concerned about it being knocked askew, it would be easy to glue some retaining pins/pieces to secure it best. I could have finished the edges much better, but my tank is too tall to see them:).

And DIY screen tops of course as well...getting ready to transfer a malanurus and another goby from QT. My last goby (orange spot) decided to carpet surf, so I made the tops right after. They are super easy and cheap, ordered the plastic screen from BRS, and frame and spline from home depot.

IMG_0041-2.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG
I have a lawn mower blenny that has shown up on the sump weeks later 3 times

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0041-2.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

that's similar with what I did, except I used the plastic sewing canvas. My fish got stuck between the two anyway. I hope it works for you!​

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 6 months ago, a wrasse jumped into the corner overflow and got stuck in the pipes and died (And flooded the floors).
So I decided to use a plastic sewing canvas to cover the over flow. Today I find another wrasse had jumped and got stuck on the overflow cover and died.

I really do not want any fish getting stuck in the overflow area due to it being a pain to get out.

any ideas how I can prevent any more casualties? should I just remove the cover and stick a mesh over the pipes to prevent anyone from going in? any other ideas?
1. with a blocked drain you should have not had a flood. the sump should have ran dry first. So try adjusting the water level in the sump so that with an overflow failure the sump runs dry before the flood.

2. use eggcrate (1/4' plastic grid lighting diffusers for dropped ceilings) to cover the tank including the top of any overflow box. To prevent the jumping.

Just my suggestions worth at most .02

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. with a blocked drain you should have not had a flood. the sump should have ran dry first. So try adjusting the water level in the sump so that with an overflow failure the sump runs dry before the flood.

2. use eggcrate (1/4' plastic grid lighting diffusers for dropped ceilings) to cover the tank including the top of any overflow box. To prevent the jumping.

Just my suggestions worth at most .02

Thanks! The sump did go dry, it flooded from the DT. all the water that was in the sump went into the DT and overflowed.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The sump did go dry, it flooded from the DT. all the water that was in the sump went into the DT and overflowed.
if you had less water in the sump and therefore the system, the DT would not have overflowed before the sump went dry. Once you make that adjustment you return to normal operation and mark the water level in the sump. And never never add water in normal operation above that mark.

I learned this the hard way with a flood on my first sump system. :eek:

Still only worth about .02

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 6 months ago, a wrasse jumped into the corner overflow and got stuck in the pipes and died (And flooded the floors).
So I decided to use a plastic sewing canvas to cover the over flow. Today I find another wrasse had jumped and got stuck on the overflow cover and died.

I really do not want any fish getting stuck in the overflow area due to it being a pain to get out.

any ideas how I can prevent any more casualties? should I just remove the cover and stick a mesh over the pipes to prevent anyone from going in? any other ideas?

Don't know if this was mentioned, but there's a seller on Amazon that sells black plastic overflow covers. May want to check it out. Also blocks light to prevent algae growth in the overflow area.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back