Another high nitrate low phosphate question

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and chalices are receding and found the following levels kinda off so what would be your best approach to fix this

alk 7.6
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77

tanks is about 2 years old.

phosphate is .03 and nitrate is at 10.5 by Hanna today.

I would like to lower my nitrate to around 3-5 to match the phosphate for a better ratio.

besides raise phosphate to around .1 then drop them together with NoPox. What’s a better approach? Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sort of in the same boat. Right now 15.5 nitrates and 0.05 phosphate. I don't plan on doing anything at the moment but id be curious which common foods are higher in phosphate. I don't have any corals in my tank currently.
Usually frozen mysis and dry seed weed are high in phosphate. But I rather lower nitrate than increase my phosphate

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far as I know there is no link that has been show that a p04/nitrate ratio is beneficial.
You don’t mention what your mag or calcium is, I personally would look for other reasons for the coral issue before messing with what seems to be reasonable po4/nitrate lvls.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far as I know there is no link that has been show that a p04/nitrate ratio is beneficial.
You don’t mention what your mag or calcium is, I personally would look for other reasons for the coral issue before messing with what seems to be reasonable po4/nitrate lvls.
Mag was tested by salifert yesterday at around 1400

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with that number. 10ppm nitrate is far from high. If you want to cut it down, just do a water change. Water changes aren't the best are removing phosphate, and if it did, you can dose a little if you want.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 10ppm. That's not an issue. Many people would consider ideal
Yeah I am not too worry about that but just when the phosphate is way lower that threw me off. Last I found online is that they should be at about the same ratio.

again, some have success with way higher levels but since my corals are receding, I want to rule them out what’s the matter.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
N03 should be about 10 to 20 times higher than P04

Your in a good spot.

Do you have any rusty screws in the sump area?

Sending off an icp is good to do every month or 2.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am not too worry about that but just when the phosphate is way lower that threw me off. Last I found online is that they should be at about the same ratio.

again, some have success with way higher levels but since my corals are receding, I want to rule them out what’s the matter.

I can almost guarantee you that corals receding is not due to your nitrate and phosphate. I would check for possible contaminates (rust, etc.). The ratio also doesn't matter. All you need is "enough" and nothing excessive. Once the corals have enough nitrogen and phosphate, the numbers don't matter until they get excessive.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P04 should be about 10 to 20 times higher than n03.

Your in a good spot.

Do you have any rusty screws in the sump area?

Sending off an icp is good to do every month or 2.

I think you wrote the first line backwards

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You say rule it out, yet you could be making things worse, you rule things that are known to be wrong, such as stability (which you will be interrupting with a nutrient change) calcium, magnesium, alkilnity, salinity, etc etc

Jaymang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current parameters are
Alk 9.9
Mag 1420
Calc 430
No3 Hanna ULR Diluted 4.2*10 42ppm; Salifert constantly 25ppm
Po4 Undetectable on Hanna ULR *ppb*

Corals seem to be doing okay, no receding; the only point I may note is that colours slightly pale out(?)

I have been dosing Seachem's phosphorous for days now and it's still 0. I'm afraid to increase the dosage, never know where the tipping point is :downcast-face-with-sweat:

The point being, probably it's not your nutrients causing the recession in your corals unless it's swinging madly I think.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and chalices are receding and found the following levels kinda off so what would be your best approach to fix this

alk 7.6
Salinity 1.026
Temp 77

tanks is about 2 years old.

phosphate is .03 and nitrate is at 10.5 by Hanna today.

I would like to lower my nitrate to around 3-5 to match the phosphate for a better ratio.

besides raise phosphate to around .1 then drop them together with NoPox. What’s a better approach? Thanks

None of those values are a cause of coral issues, IMO.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back