Another "how flat does it REALLY need to be? thread.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using pink insulation boards, yoga mats, and similar, to help level their tanks. I also hear rather extreme "your tank must be on a flat level surface, OR ELSE" posts from time to time. In an ideal circumstance, I agree that a tank should be perfectly level and on a perfectly flat stand.

I have a small tank, 22 gallons, (24"X16"X14") made out of 3/8" glass. For reference, that's the thickness of the glass used to construct a 120g aquarium. Yes. Overkill.

I want to put the tank on a chest of drawers. Between the weight of the tank and the weight of the water, we're talking about 250 lbs. When I put the empty tank on the chest of drawers, it's dead level. However, there is a thin gap between the front right corner and the top of the "stand." I was thinking about putting it on a 1/2" thick sheet of pink board. I cut a sheet for the tank and when the tank is empty, I still see the tiny gap between the pink board and the surface.

So my question for the peanut gallery is, do we think that pink board will compress enough to close the gap, and if it does, how horrible of an idea is it to use this stand. The tank is built like...a tank (the other kind) and so I have a fair amount of confidence in the seams. They have a huge surface area given the total weigh of the water/ dimensions.

Seeking advice from people with first hand experience using leveling mats and pink board in situations like this.

1660242797230.png

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't level any of my 5 tanks 29gal up to 135 gal. Been about 5 years so far. (Knock on wood :grinning-squinting-face:) All are glass with full frames though.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bold move, reefer Matt, bold move.
If it helps, I think you will be fine either way with that size tank. It will find level on the board. If you want completely even weight distribution however, then you can make long shims to fill the gap.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I think you will be fine either way with that size tank. It will find level on the board. If you want completely even weight distribution however, then you can make long shims to fill the gap.
I kind of suspect that when I fill it, either the "stand" will collapse, the tank will break, or the thing will look level. I guess my night's work is cut out for me. My vote is #3.

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 20g, rimless tank on my desk in the office. The desk was built from reclaimed wood planks (very heavy, but also uneven) I had the same conserns as you, so I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood slightly larger than the footprint of the tank and placed it between the tank and the desk. (my tank has a leveling mat pre-installed on the bottom, but it is very thin). This allowed me to have the tank on a flat surface, and also be able to shim under the plywood to level out the gaps... Just food for thought.

Disregard the clutter, this was during setup :)
Cycle finished.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying I may be over thinking this....
IMM, yup, it doesnt add anything to tank integrity.
We level the stands without any “feet” to provide the most area to distribute weight and the tank goes right on top, if built correctly, it should be level.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 largest tanks we currently have are 80g and 150g... both are about an inch off level... been fine for a year since we bought the house. We do intend to level both of them eventually for the aesthetics as well as giving in to all the fear mongering surrounding it. I'm sure bad things can happen. I do believe they are rare though. I've never had a level fish tank in my life I don't think... and every fish tank I've had was used. Besides the new 150 upgrade 1.5 years ago

I do belive that tanks with a rimless bottom do need some foam support though.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if built correctly, it should be level.
A problem in my case is that this was never built to be an aquarium stand. It's not a total P-O-S, but who knows how it would do long term with 250 lbs sitting on it.

Then again, I have a similarly sized tank sitting on the night stand that's a part of the same set, and it's been fine. I'm amazed that my wife hasn't shut this whole thing down yet. lol.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A problem in my case is that this was never built to be an aquarium stand. It's not a total P-O-S, but who knows how it would do long term with 250 lbs sitting on it.

Then again, I have a similarly sized tank sitting on the night stand that's a part of the same set, and it's been fine. I'm amazed that my wife hasn't shut this whole thing down yet. lol.
It just needs a solid flat piece of wood, can be anything.
Not a huge weight at 250lbs.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Plywood. Cut it bigger than the Aquarium, paint it with Rustoleum Black Paint, till it’s waterproof. That way if you have some Splashes, Spills, your not as likely to damage the dresser. BTW, Johnson’s Yellow Paste Wax, can add protection to your furniture. Also Applied with 0000 Steelwool, will make a glass like surface, on your final coat of an Oil Based Finish.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back