Another Mandarin Goby question

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a 46 Bow with a 6G refugium on it (52g total)... the fuge is running on my 20G that has been running for almost a year and is completely crawling with pods. I'm assuming a mandarin would be fine in that system, but I do have a fairy wrasse and was wondering if that one fish would be able to eat enough pods to keep the dragonet from being fat and happy in a tank of that size.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mandarin eats frozen then you should be ok

+1. You'll probably be alright, but your best bet would be to train your Mandarin Dragonet to eat frozen. I've got mine eating prawn eggs now. I also culture copepods, but am glad to have the safety net in case something goes wrong.

CJ

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. You'll probably be alright, but your best bet would be to train your Mandarin Dragonet to eat frozen. I've got mine eating prawn eggs now. I also culture copepods, but am glad to have the safety net in case something goes wrong.

CJ

Actually, I think the best bet would be to try and find a LFS that carries ORA dragonets. It will be more expensive, but you are almost guaranteed that it will eat prepared food and you are doing your part to reduce wild collection.
Aquacultured Dragonets | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums

Cancel this opinion and see below for explanation.

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people who purchased the ORA dragonets were disapointed because they have a habit of going feral and reverting back to pods somewhat quickly. This is only what I've heard, as I've never personally owned an ORA mandarin...

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI my Ora mandarin won't eat frozen. I try to put the food right in front of her and she won't take it just swims away. And if you do go the Ora route just make sure you get one that is eating, fat, and happy preferably one that has been there a little while. The first Ora mandarin I got wouldn't eat at all and ended up dying. Funny thing is the second one I got was eating frozen at the lfs but once she got in my tank with all the pods she wet right for them and never looked back.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was when they were first released, so later generations may be less prone to revert to pods. They're releasing the blue mandarins soon, so they may be better as well. I just don't want anyone to think that the ORA mandarins are a sure thing.

OP
OP
tclipse

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they'd go for decap brine shrimp eggs pretty easily? I've got a ton from some of my freshwater fry setups, they aren't a whole lot bigger than tigger pods and would probably be a pretty viable way to get them going on prepared foods if they'll go for them.

That was when they were first released, so later generations may be less prone to revert to pods. They're releasing the blue mandarins soon, so they may be better as well. I just don't want anyone to think that the ORA mandarins are a sure thing.

Are they still around the $200 per pair price point or has that dropped since they came out?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they'd go for decap brine shrimp eggs pretty easily? I've got a ton from some of my freshwater fry setups, they aren't a whole lot bigger than tigger pods and would probably be a pretty viable way to get them going on prepared foods if they'll go for them.

Are they still around the $200 per pair price point or has that dropped since they came out?
Not sure on the decapsulated eggs, but it's a possibility. I don't actually have an ORA mandarin, so I can't really help you there. I have a wild one that has shown a bit of interest in live baby brine and cyclopeeze, but never really gone after the decapsulated eggs from what I've seen.

The price on the ORA mandarins has gone down a bit. I've seen the spotted mandarins for about $60 each, but not sure what they would get for a pair...

300leonhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend had a mandarin that ate frozen food as long as it was drifting in the current. You just have to make sure you don't have anything that's going to eat too aggressively. The Mandarin doesn't even get a chance to eat frozen.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI my Ora mandarin won't eat frozen. I try to put the food right in front of her and she won't take it just swims away. And if you do go the Ora route just make sure you get one that is eating, fat, and happy preferably one that has been there a little while. The first Ora mandarin I got wouldn't eat at all and ended up dying. Funny thing is the second one I got was eating frozen at the lfs but once she got in my tank with all the pods she wet right for them and never looked back.

Here's an opinion from someone who actually owns an ORA mandarin, but I'm sure some more people will chime in!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back