Another newbie cycle thread

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I’m probably just being paranoid but I came here just in case. I started my cycle on November 17, and I got my first ammonia reading on the 11/21. My ammonia has stayed at 0.50 ever since the 21st. Am I doing anything wrong because I thought ammonia was supposed to spike. My nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppm and my nitrites are about 0.25 ppm if that helps. My equipment is a 20 gallon long with live sand and dry rock, and I’m using an API test kit. I’m ghost feeding pellets about every day and I already used seachem stability for 7 days. I was wondering if I should just switch to Dr. Tim’s because it’s more controlled, or if it was even a good idea to add more bacteria during the middle of the cycle?

Edit: nitrate and nitrite reading
Also I should mention my nitrates and nitrates have spiked compared to ammonia. Yesterday my nitrate were about 0 same with my nitrites.

another edit: an included picture.

0D5F45CA-B674-49E2-9A51-791342362863.jpeg

Last edited:

ling313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used live sand and Dr Tim, cycle took forever so I added fritz turbo bacteria and that finished my cycle way faster. FYI, api bottles need some serious shaking (banging it on the floor) before each use. My readings were much lower before I learned this. Good luck

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used brightwell microbacter7. Live sand and dry rock. Waited 3 weeks got a pair of clowns. Keep an eye on that ammonia. If you get some fish be sure to get some neutralizer.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be able to begin reefing because you've fed bacteria ready within ten days per the directions. All you need is a water change and begin, you've tripled the time frame and the bacteria are there per your nitrate readings. You've also met the timetable from a cycling chart, all set.

You specifically don't have to do the 2ppm ammonia thing, the common approach. Having mere contact this long makes the cycle complete.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back