Cycle Aquarium

DoriReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
46
Reaction score
32
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I started my cycle on the 24th with one and only bacteria and ammonia up to 1.5ppm. By the 28th nitrite was up to 4 and ammonia down to 1. The 28th ammonia down to .5 and nitrite at 4 still and today the 2nd ammonia at 0 and nitrite still at 4. Nitrate was also at 100 the past two tests.
What should I do? Redose ammonia back?
 
There is no need to waste the salt on a water change, there is not likely anything meaningful to export. I think that repeated advice is from the same passed on lore that nitrate and nitrate need to be zero before moving forward.
 
Hey so I started my cycle on the 24th with one and only bacteria and ammonia up to 1.5ppm. By the 28th nitrite was up to 4 and ammonia down to 1. The 28th ammonia down to .5 and nitrite at 4 still and today the 2nd ammonia at 0 and nitrite still at 4. Nitrate was also at 100 the past two tests.
What should I do? Redose ammonia back?
You got a pic of the tank? Nitrite is harmless at levels possible through cycling a normal tank, and it also messes with nitrate test kits, so that reading is false. The ability to reduce ammonia has been shown and you appear to be ready for stock. I too wouldn't bother changing any water at this stage. Good luck 👍
 
Hey so I started my cycle on the 24th with one and only bacteria and ammonia up to 1.5ppm. By the 28th nitrite was up to 4 and ammonia down to 1. The 28th ammonia down to .5 and nitrite at 4 still and today the 2nd ammonia at 0 and nitrite still at 4. Nitrate was also at 100 the past two tests.
What should I do? Redose ammonia back?
You got a pic of the tank? Nitrite is harmless at levels possible through cycling a normal tank, and it also messes with nitrate test kits, so that reading is false. The ability to reduce ammonia has been shown and you appear to be ready for stock. I too wouldn't bother changing any water at this stage. Good luck 👍
20261002_154111_2785F688-FE15-417E-BE52-2375E4F3C4CF.png

Isn’t nitrite harmful to fish
 
There is no need to waste the salt on a water change, there is not likely anything meaningful to export. I think that repeated advice is from the same passed on lore that nitrate and nitrate need to be zero before moving forward.
Nitrite isn’t harmful?
 
Nitrate interferes with nitrate tests, don't even bother.
Neither are harmful at any reasonable level that you could accidentally or purposefully attain. Down the road, we can debate the affects of nitrate on different corals, but that is beyond the scope of anything that you need to worry about today or in the near future.
 
Mine at 4 is maximum on the salifert test. Is that not a lot?
No, that's not dangerous at all, your tank is cycled and ready for some hardy livestock 🙂

If you want to know why nitrite is non-toxic in marine tanks (unlike how it IS toxic in freshwater tanks), the explanation is here:
https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.htm

Additionally, I agree with the above posters that nitrite is falsely inflating your nitrate test. Your nitrate is likely much lower, and a large water change is likely unnecessary, though would not hurt anything if you did one.

I hope that helps!
 
Mine at 4 is maximum on the salifert test. Is that not a lot?
No, that's not dangerous at all, your tank is cycled and ready for some hardy livestock 🙂

If you want to know why nitrite is non-toxic in marine tanks (unlike how it IS toxic in freshwater tanks), the explanation is here:
https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.htm

Additionally, I agree with the above posters that nitrite is falsely inflating your nitrate test. Your nitrate is likely much lower, and a large water change is likely unnecessary, though would not hurt anything if you did one.

I hope that helps!
Thank you so much!!
 
Nitrate interferes with nitrate tests, don't even bother.
Neither are harmful at any reasonable level that you could accidentally or purposefully attain. Down the road, we can debate the affects of nitrate on different corals, but that is beyond the scope of anything that you need to worry about today or in the near future.
Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new