Another pinched mantle post.... Sorry!

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is asked SO many times, cuz I've been through just about all the post, but for me pinched mantle is kinda hard to positive id. Sooooo is this it?
Had this clam over 2yrs but it's recently been through a stressful month with a nippy tang and then trying to find it a better spot away from the tang. I started to run carbon 4 days ago and have changed it out once already and about to again tonight.
20190217_185602.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like nipping stress. I know you've had the clam for a while but I don't see any new white shell growth so it could've been going south for some time from the tang. The mucous on the mantle can be irresistible to tangs unfortunately. Stress could lead to an early death

Last edited:
OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like nipping stress. I know you've had the clam for a while but I don't see any new white shell growth so it could've been going south for some time from the tang. The mucous on the mantle can be irresistible to tangs unfortunately. Stress could lead to an early death
Thanks for the reply DSC!
The new spot the clam is in now the tang seems to ignore. The clam still has retraction to hand movement and opens up now during the day so do you think there's hope? Good to know it's not PM

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very welcome. With clams it's hard to say my friend. All you can do at this point is keep it stress free and the tank stable. Don't move it, nothing. It takes a lot more energy for a clam to try and stay closed than open so try to limit shadow testing besides fish and lights. Keep me posted please, I hope it turns around for you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back