Another reason to put a lid on it!

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to my prime 16 laying on top of my lid. It had slipped loose( my fault) from the glass. The leds were blasting away on the mesh screen but all was good luckily.
love my krakenReef lid! I imagine it would have been bad for everything in the tank.
sorry no pic as I rushed to fix.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness. Thanks for sharing! I can only imagine how that might've ended had you not had the lid!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to my prime 16 laying on top of my lid. It had slipped loose( my fault) from the glass. The leds were blasting away on the mesh screen but all was good luckily.
love my krakenReef lid! I imagine it would have been bad for everything in the tank.
sorry no pic as I rushed to fix.
I came home to my Radion on my lid once, this was before I had it secure on the tank. I still thank the fact I had a lid over my tank. Now I have a backboard on the tank and the radions are on that and secure.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I could ever have a lidless tank even if none of the fish are “known to jump”. So I totally agree with you about a second reason for a lid.
I think the jumpers will always find a way. How many comments have been made about one of their fish finding the only (and tiniest) gap/hole in the lid and managing to get through it but I agree better to have one than not. :) At least we know we did everything possible to secure our tanks if we put one on. I have one on my sw but not my fw because of all the emergent plants. My heart literally skips a beat when I see one of my fish rocket to the surface and break the water. Have you ever thought about how they're able to rapidly stop and change course? It's incredible.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the jumpers will always find a way. How many comments have been made about one of their fish finding the only (and tiniest) gap/hole in the lid and managing to get through it but I agree better to have one than not. :) At least we know we did everything possible to secure our tanks if we put one on. I have one on my sw but not my fw because of all the emergent plants. My heart literally skips a beat when I see one of my fish rocket to the surface and break the water. Have you ever thought about how they're able to rapidly stop and change course? It's incredible.
It's incredible how some fish can defy logic in midair and land back in the tank after rocketing out. It's also equally mindblowing how many fish can get out of enclosed canopies. Even being in the business will never understand that...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still, one imagines that having 98% of the tank covered will result in way fewer fish on the floor than having 0% of it covered. The poor fish that get out through any gaps are sorta like confirmation bias, since there's no way to know how many jump, hit the lid, and fall back into the tank.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, one imagines that having 98% of the tank covered will result in way fewer fish on the floor than having 0% of it covered. The poor fish that get out through any gaps are sorta like confirmation bias, since there's no way to know how many jump, hit the lid, and fall back into the tank.
Very true. I'd assume after bumping their head and getting a black eye 4 or 5 times most fish would stop trying, but there are some persistent ones.

It's actually surprising how many hobbyists run lidless for years and never have any issues.

Back