Another red sea reefer seam failure. Sharing my experience with a failed 625xxl

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you expect RS to do for a dropped tank? No matter who the owner is or who contacts them? A spilled drink at the bar, sure a new one on the house. A dropped tank, a refrigerator that topples out of your truck on the way home, a new car you smash on the way home from the dealer... I think you know the outcome.
Yeah he expects a couple of thousand restored because his neighbor smashed the aquarium. I might go and smash my car and demand a new one

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. By OP mentioned RedSea wouldn't sell him a tank by itself. Which is the exact same situation I'm
I dropped a new Red Sea tank in March (well, the people who were helping me dropped it). Instead of contacting Red Sea directly, my LFS contacted their Red Sea sales rep. We had no problem buying a tank on its own that way, so if you don’t have luck on your own you might want to give that a shot.

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. They came back and said it was 1518 map. I got another 40 breeder 50% off via Petco sale and am using the wave makers, lights and stand. I’ll move the bigger inhabitants to the 40b so they’ll get an extra foot of swim space. Once I chew threw a few things financially I’m going 625 or bigger.

I’ve sold a lot of stuff and got most of my money back. I could still get the 350 replaced, but if I’m gonna have to wait to upgrade, I might as well upgrade big when I can.

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you expect RS to do for a dropped tank? No matter who the owner is or who contacts them? A spilled drink at the bar, sure a new one on the house. A dropped tank, a refrigerator that topples out of your truck on the way home, a new car you smash on the way home from the dealer... I think you know the outcome.

My weariness was RedSea not offering the replacement tank at all. OFC it’s my fault and don’t appreciate what I’m perceiving as condescension.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weariness was RedSea not offering the replacement tank at all. OFC it’s my fault and don’t appreciate what I’m perceiving as condescension.
I would never expect them (or any vendor) to offer... Spilled drink yes, aquarium no. My intent is not to be insulting, but to even suggest that them not offering is an issue is silly.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see there is a Gen2 now, which specifically fixes the stand's weaknesses, and supports the front glass. To me this clearly shows the first gens as Lemons, and I feel a good company would stand behind them, even after warranty.

This part is not true. I have a 250 G2 and the front glass is not supported by anything. The bottom glass sits on the stand, but the the front is just suspended.

Maybe my tank is smaller and doesn't need support, so I'm not sure if this applies to the larger G2 also. I was concerned about this when setting up the tank, but the way the cabinet is designed, there's no way around this.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
when I assembled my 200XL G2 I also had the same concern about the front glass just hanging out there. I spent about an hour trying to figure out if I had assembled it wrong but after reading about it I discovered it was in fact designed this way. I was very uncomfortable about it.

OP
OP
c_ronius

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This part is not true. I have a 250 G2 and the front glass is not supported by anything. The bottom glass sits on the stand, but the the front is just suspended.

Maybe my tank is smaller and doesn't need support, so I'm not sure if this applies to the larger G2 also. I was concerned about this when setting up the tank, but the way the cabinet is designed, there's no way around this.
Gotya, Thank you for the correction. I was under the impression the newest models have a metal brace across the front, which held a portion of the front pane on it. I cannot find where I got that info. I haven't seen a new tank in person, and I should not have stated that.

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a G1 525 XL and just noticed my front seam splitting… I contacted Red Sea and they said to drain it right away but I’m out of warranty so waiting to see what kind of help they can offer

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 96

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just start that tank?
No it’s been going for a while now. If you ask because the sand looks clean it’s because not too long ago I started slowly taking sand out and then added special grade sand because originally I had Fiji pink but it would blow all over whenever I turned my pumps up and I’m thinking of finally adding SPS so I just took some out and capped it with special grade.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s been going for a while now. If you ask because the sand looks clean it’s because not too long ago I started slowly taking sand out and then added special grade sand because originally I had Fiji pink but it would blow all over whenever I turned my pumps up and I’m thinking of finally adding SPS so I just took some out and capped it with special grade.
Yes the sand and rocks appear new in the tank. How long have you had the tank? Purchased new?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never expect them (or any vendor) to offer... Spilled drink yes, aquarium no. My intent is not to be insulting, but to even suggest that them not offering is an issue is silly.
Perhaps offering to sell vs offering for free is what was meant.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps offering to sell vs offering for free is what was meant.
Why would they offer anything? They barely offer anything on valid warranty claims and clearly are not structured as a customer/client relationship company where a salesperson and manager are going to consider your plight and do something to make you feel good.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they offer anything? They barely offer anything on valid warranty claims and clearly are not structured as a customer/client relationship company where a salesperson and manager are going to consider your plight and do something to make you feel good.
Dunno. Cuz ‘offering’ to sell someone something is kinda the point of a business. Selling things to people.

I’m not at all familiar with RS. Why wouldn’t they sell a tank on its own?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno. Cuz ‘offering’ to sell someone something is kinda the point of a business. Selling things to people.

I’m not at all familiar with RS. Why wouldn’t they sell a tank on its own?

Last I checked, you don't need an offer to buy an aquarium. I don't think they even send tank-only for warranty replacement, but not sure. Somebody else could clarify.

I can 100% see them not breaking "kits" apart to sell only the tank. As I said, they do not appear ( could be wrong) the kind of company that provides personalized solutions to problems.

But alas, we are in the weeds here debating semantics... the point was that there is likely no consideration for "hey my tank fell down the steps and broke, can you help me out here".

Happy Reefing...

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After posting my experiences with 2 tank failure ( with evidence and RedSea responses) within the same year on their official Facebook page, I was conveniently removed and banned from their page. They have become very lax in their quality control and customer services/satisfaction
I think this post needs to be highlighted more. I was a member of the Red Sea Facebook group for a while too and saw this happen SEVERAL times. Eventually I decided I would never purchase a Red Sea product (even if they were the last company on Earth) and left that horrible Facebook group. Absolutely shady beyond belief.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back