Another Reef Chemistry Noob

I'm testing with a refracometer, but I don't have calibration fluid. Just ordered calibration fluid from BRS. Initially calibrated with distilled water. Won't do anything until I confirm salinity.
 
So I've been calibrating my refractometer and testing regularly, and my tank has been running at 1.024 (more like 1.0235 probably). IO posted levels are at 1.026, so I'm thinking my salinity is actually the issue here. How can I safely raise the the salinity from 1.024 to 1.026 or even 1.027 without adding salt directly to the tank. Is there a formula for boosting salinity via water changes. I.E. remove this much water and replace with water of a specific salinity level?
 
I would bring it up slowly, especially with SPS. If you have 1.024 and did 100% water change with 1.026 new water, you'll get 1.026. 50% water change will get you to 1.025. 25% water change to 1.0245. Etc.
 
Over the past few days I've gotten the salinity to 1.026. This has bumped my Ca to 400, Mg 1200, and dKH 9.1. Things seem to be more in line with the "standards". I'd like to get my all down a little but I'll let the corals do that on their own. Feeling much better about testing now. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new