OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I could not sleep until I got this relay wired and working lol. I probably should have researched this a bit more first but the standard run of the mill VGA cable 1. does not use all pins and 2. several pins are tied together.
1230-1325639616-c9560b730f013cdff647b2ce5d5f8a50.jpg

I did some searching and they do make HD-15 cables that use all wires and are straight through. Just a quick search on amazon and the cables seem a bit pricey but they have them. https://www.amazon.com/Amphenol-CS-...id=1543328683&sr=8-4&keywords=dsub+hd15+cable

But I was on a mission lol. I wanted to get the relay hooked up and tested so I improvised. When I ordered the DSUB connectors it was the same price for one as it was for several so I have a tone of male and female connectors. I dug back into my junk box and pulled out 2 cat 5 cables and made myself a makeshift cable that will work for now until I can get a proper one. I soldered it all together and forgot that I have to reverse the wiring on the other side so had to remove and re do it, in the end its not pretty but does the job for now.
31135219467_ed3b243c58_k.jpg

The relay I picked up is pretty cool. I dont know if it matters or not but it makes sense in my mind lol I wanted to keep as many peripherals off the 5 volt rail that supplies the RPI to reduce any chance of interference. I have the main 12 volt supply that branches to the LM2956 to step down the voltage to 5 volts for the RPI and all other 12 volt requirements for the relays, motor drivers, doser motors, etc all come directly off the main 12 volt input. To avoid getting another LM2956 to step down to 5 volts again I sourced a 12 volt relay and its pretty slick. I still have to take a step back and remember we are dealing with digital electronics 1's and 0's not so much power and ground. This relay did not come with any instructions but has jumpers for high and low input. My analog mind was thinking low was 3.3v and high was 12 volts or something along those lines. But the high and low represents high as in 1 and low as in 0, or in analog terms high=voltage low=ground. The GPIO pins off the RPI run high which is 3.3v or a 1. If you connect the positive end of an LED to the GPIO pin and the other to ground you can light it on and off with the software. But to protect the pi from over current we isolate it by triggering the input pin of a ULN2803 driver which provides a higher current capable output. The catch is that the output is reversed so that when the GPIO pin is triggered the ULN2803 output is biased towards 0 or ground instead. So now to light an LED the positive lead goes to the power source and the ground lead goes to the output of the ULN2803. When the GPIO pin is triggered it grounds the LED and it lights up. So the BLUF is this relay https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW2GA5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can accept both a positive or negative input. Since we are outputting negative 0 the jumpers get set to low.

So I have one cable running to my power box. It supplies 12 volts and all the GPIO pins to the relays. Its not as fancy as the DJ power strip but it works :) Next up is wiring the outlets.

45349779244_c4bfad0a1f_k.jpg

I believe it was @Erica-Renee in the mega thread that brought this up and it was such a good idea that I scrapped the idea of using the DJ power strip and started looking at building my own power strip. Now that my relays are active I can see where there is a potentially big issue if reef-pi or the the RPI unexpectedly quits. As soon as power is pulled from the RPI all the relays shut off. If you are running multiple things that typically run all the time and you are away for a week this could be a big problem till you get back and get hands on to find the problem. If the pi where to quit I would want the following:

Heater: off
Return: on
Skimmer: on
ATO: off
Sump light: on
At least one circulation pump: on

So a relay has two states Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC)
images

The GPIO output and either ground or power is applied to the coil side which pulls it to NO and when the GPIO signal is removed it goes back to NC. Most of the relay outputs have 3 pins NC, Common, and NO. Common is the power source you wish to switch and you have to determine if you want power output when the relay is off or power output when the relay is triggered. Since I want several outputs to remain with power if communication or power to the pi is lost I will be wiring half the power outlets to the NC and half to the NO. More on this once I get to that portion.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond1 Now thats a great idea! I built my entire fish tank stand to include the skins and plywood with a circular saw. It probably took me twice as long to complete becuase I would have to measure, clamp a 2x4 to the plywood, measure the other side, measure moth sides again, then make the cut running the circular saw along the 2x4. When I get a place with a garage my first two power tools will be a table saw and a miter saw. Probably the tools I do work arounds for the most.

I have 3 saws in my shop and don't know how i did without them now that I have them. I have the table saw, mitre saw and big old scary radial arm saw. Next on my list is a decent bad saw.
The only thing about the table saw I don't like is that it has a very limited cut depth it maxes out at 2" since the blade is only 7 1/2". I have rip cut an 8 foot 2x12 down to 1x2" and plywood is a breeze.

@ScottBrew You have that problem too? ;) I have to go into my shop at least once a month and clean the tops of all the flat surfaces or else they turn into a catch all.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I could not sleep until I got this relay wired and working lol. I probably should have researched this a bit more first but the standard run of the mill VGA cable 1. does not use all pins and 2. several pins are tied together.

I did some searching and they do make HD-15 cables that use all wires and are straight through. Just a quick search on amazon and the cables seem a bit pricey but they have them. https://www.amazon.com/Amphenol-CS-...id=1543328683&sr=8-4&keywords=dsub+hd15+cable

But I was on a mission lol. I wanted to get the relay hooked up and tested so I improvised. When I ordered the DSUB connectors it was the same price for one as it was for several so I have a tone of male and female connectors. I dug back into my junk box and pulled out 2 cat 5 cables and made myself a makeshift cable that will work for now until I can get a proper one. I soldered it all together and forgot that I have to reverse the wiring on the other side so had to remove and re do it, in the end its not pretty but does the job for now.

The relay I picked up is pretty cool. I dont know if it matters or not but it makes sense in my mind lol I wanted to keep as many peripherals off the 5 volt rail that supplies the RPI to reduce any chance of interference. I have the main 12 volt supply that branches to the LM2956 to step down the voltage to 5 volts for the RPI and all other 12 volt requirements for the relays, motor drivers, doser motors, etc all come directly off the main 12 volt input. To avoid getting another LM2956 to step down to 5 volts again I sourced a 12 volt relay and its pretty slick. I still have to take a step back and remember we are dealing with digital electronics 1's and 0's not so much power and ground. This relay did not come with any instructions but has jumpers for high and low input. My analog mind was thinking low was 3.3v and high was 12 volts or something along those lines. But the high and low represents high as in 1 and low as in 0, or in analog terms high=voltage low=ground. The GPIO pins off the RPI run high which is 3.3v or a 1. If you connect the positive end of an LED to the GPIO pin and the other to ground you can light it on and off with the software. But to protect the pi from over current we isolate it by triggering the input pin of a ULN2803 driver which provides a higher current capable output. The catch is that the output is reversed so that when the GPIO pin is triggered the ULN2803 output is biased towards 0 or ground instead. So now to light an LED the positive lead goes to the power source and the ground lead goes to the output of the ULN2803. When the GPIO pin is triggered it grounds the LED and it lights up. So the BLUF is this relay https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW2GA5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can accept both a positive or negative input. Since we are outputting negative 0 the jumpers get set to low.

So I have one cable running to my power box. It supplies 12 volts and all the GPIO pins to the relays. Its not as fancy as the DJ power strip but it works :) Next up is wiring the outlets.

I believe it was @Erica-Renee in the mega thread that brought this up and it was such a good idea that I scrapped the idea of using the DJ power strip and started looking at building my own power strip. Now that my relays are active I can see where there is a potentially big issue if reef-pi or the the RPI unexpectedly quits. As soon as power is pulled from the RPI all the relays shut off. If you are running multiple things that typically run all the time and you are away for a week this could be a big problem till you get back and get hands on to find the problem. If the pi where to quit I would want the following:

images

The GPIO output and either ground or power is applied to the coil side which pulls it to NO and when the GPIO signal is removed it goes back to NC. Most of the relay outputs have 3 pins NC, Common, and NO. Common is the power source you wish to switch and you have to determine if you want power output when the relay is off or power output when the relay is triggered. Since I want several outputs to remain with power if communication or power to the pi is lost I will be wiring half the power outlets to the NC and half to the NO. More on this once I get to that portion.

This looks great! I like the relays you used with terminal blocks instead of header pins.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY table saw! I bet it works great. Mine is an old Bosch, love it but it is a horizontal surface. Which we all know becomes a shelf if left unsupervised for any length of time...
LOL :) . Fact

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

images

Beautiful. This is the flexibility of scratch builds.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That table saw makes my cringe . I know some Carpenters with missing fingers and I have a few bad scars from Kick back over the years.With that said I use my table ,miter saws and Router table almost daily.

Please be Careful...

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That table saw makes my cringe . I know some Carpenters with missing fingers and I have a few bad scars from Kick back over the years.With that said I use my table ,miter saws and Router table almost daily.

Please be Careful...

I feel safer using that table saw than I do my craftsman radial arm saw. I use push bars and don't stand where kickback is an issue. Most of the time I'm using using a sled to cut small pieces anyway.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont judge... But last night was Tuesday and therefore is the night "This is Us" is on TV. One of the few shows that my wife and I watch together. lol So I didnt get much done. I did confirm though that the reverse function works for connectors.
31149862217_daac78b80b_b.jpg

I set 4 of the connectors to reverse so now the relay is off and in its rest state when the equipment switch is set to be on. Doing this not only keeps the power flowing if reef-pi shuts down but has two more added bonuses. 1, it will be less strain on the relay for devices that typically run 24 hours a day since its providing power when off and not triggered and 2, reduces the CPU and memory load since reef-pi is not holding a relay open 24 hours a day.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am horrible about home made tools. Like the time I didnt want to pay $100 to change my tires. I bet by the time I bought all the metal and nuts and bolts etc I probably spent close to the same I would have handed the tire guys but had a warranty lol
I used to use a bumper jack to break beads back when cars had slots on the bumpers for them!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am horrible about home made tools. Like the time I didnt want to pay $100 to change my tires. I bet by the time I bought all the metal and nuts and bolts etc I probably spent close to the same I would have handed the tire guys but had a warranty lol
7435354246_06692deb32_k.jpg
Outstanding! Did you use the 'ol "fill the new tire on the rim with flammable aerosol" and explode it to set the tire?

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding! Did you use the 'ol "fill the new tire on the rim with flammable aerosol" and explode it to set the tire?
The really dangerous ones were the split rims like I had on an old 1972 Winnebago. Used to lay the rims under the lift and lower it down on top of the rim to inflate... and stand 20 feet away while doing it!

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL, I did that once when I broke a bead on the trail. It does work ha ha. All the other times I used a ratchet strap cinched around the tire.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The really dangerous ones were the split rims like I had on an old 1972 Winnebago. Used to lay the rims under the lift and lower it down on top of the rim to inflate... and stand 20 feet away while doing it!

Some of the things some of us did as young bucks! Sometimes, I'm amazed I'm still alive and have my eyes and all my limbs!

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooooooh I think I would have stood further than that! I am sure you have seen a tire explode while airing up. Ever since seeing the videos I get nervous just putting air in at the gas station lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I did that once when I broke a bead on the trail. It does work ha ha. All the other times I used a ratchet strap cinched around the tire.

Well, that's no fun! Lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooooooh I think I would have stood further than that! I am sure you have seen a tire explode while airing up. Ever since seeing the videos I get nervous just putting air in at the gas station lol

"Air at the gas station"... sounds like someone may need a new compressor!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for ***** and giggles I went and looked for a tire changer to post as a joke for @b4tn
I came across this and now I'm thinking I may be buying a tire changer... $500 for a Coats is cheap!

Screenshot_20181129-104119_letgo.jpg

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the things some of us did as young bucks! Sometimes, I'm amazed I'm still alive and have my eyes and all my limbs!
No kidding! I turned 50 today and am honestly surprised I made it to this age. The stunts we pulled on bicycles and dirt bikes when I was a kid and then driving like a maniac in fast cars and street bikes. Now with 2 kids, the youngest is graduating this year, I have calmed down considerably.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back