Another stocking / order list lol - 220g

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yall. Here is the 17 millionth stocking post lol. Jk

Tank just got delievered. Things are still showing up. Have not cycled this tank let alone put water in it.

220g 6ft tank - Going to be a heavy bio load. but I might be pushing it. Im open for thoughts. Be easy on me lol but I am more concerned about order. Thanks for everything and years of reading in the shadows. But here it is!

** Must have
(First)

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Pintail Wrasse
Marble Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse**
Yellow Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback

(Second)
Watanabei Angle (female)
Golden Spot Rabbit

(Last)

Purple Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Blue Eye Kole
Achilles Tang **
Naso Tang

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think can give you the best advice with the wrasses (dottyback will be fine).
The second group should be fine (just note the potential for coral nibbling).
@vetteguy53081 can give you the best advice with respect to tangs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank just got delievered. Things are still showing up. Have not cycled this tank let alone put water in it.

220g 6ft tank - Going to be a heavy bio load. but I might be pushing it. Im open for thoughts. Be easy on me lol but I am more concerned about order. Thanks for everything and years of reading in the shadows. But here it is!

** Must have
(First)

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Pintail Wrasse
Marble Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse**
Yellow Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback

(Second)
Watanabei Angle (female)
Golden Spot Rabbit

(Last)

Purple Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Blue Eye Kole
Achilles Tang **
Naso Tang
The only issue I see in terms of the wrasses is the Marble Wrasse (I assume this is Halichoeres hortulanus). These guys will be nasty especially towards the Radiant and Yellow.

Personally, I’d also add a few more wrasses in there, some of these;
Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres richmondi
Xenojulis margaritaceus
Halichoeres rubricephalus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon viviennae
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses caeruleopunctatus
Anampses lineatus
Anampses twistii
Cirrhilabrus adornatus
Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
Paracheilinus filamentosus
Paracheilinus lineopunctatus

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of large fish even for a 220, which I assume yours has the same footprint to the standard 180 (6 x 2 x 2) except taller, so it’s really no different from stocking a 180.

First batch looks good, with the wrasses and the Orchid Dottyback. The only exception is I don’t like the Marble Wrasse. They get bigger and more aggressive than most other Halichoeres, I think.

If you’re not willing to risk a Dottyback at all, I’d look into a Royal Gramma or Black Cap Basslet. I believe you can find Captive Bred specimens for both. Also worth looking into, if you can find any, are Assessors (ORA captive breeds some), Liopropoma basslets and Chalk Basslets (ORA breeds them, don’t know who carries them).

I like the inclusion of Angels in your stocking list and all of these are a good fit for your tank. I like the Hawkfish too, but beware of the possibility that it will take out inverts. Not sure how big the Gold Spotted Rabbit gets in captivity, I’d ask @i cant think. An alternative for a Rabbitfish would be the subgenus Lo, the Rabbitfish that we commonly call Foxfaces.

As for the Tangs, the only issue I see is the Naso Tang which could get too large and active. The Orange Shoulder Tang could be fine in a 220, @lion king has had his for almost a decade in his main tank which is very similar to yours.

The Achilles are known for being disease magnets more so than many other Tangs. They also need high flow and can get aggressive. You want to keep this in mind.

What I see here is too many large fish, and I’d take out one or two.

I would do:
Purple Tang
Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang (Binotatus)
Orange Shoulder Tang OR Achilles Tang
Rabbitfish OR Foxface
Regal Angelfish
Watanabei Angelfish

With Watanabei being the smallest of the group. They top out at 6” I think, I would expect 5” in captivity.

So your list could end up looking something like this:
(1) Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (C. Exquisitus)
(1) Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse (C. Isoceles)
(1) Canary Wrasse (H. Chrysus)
(1) Radiant Wrasse (H. Iridis)
(1) Earmuff Wrasse (H. Melanospmus)
(1) Orchid Dottyback / Royal Gramma / Black Cap Basslet / Other Basslet of your choice

(1) Falco Hawkfish (you could also consider a Flame or Longnose Hawk)
(1) Atlantic Cherub Angelfish
(1) Regal Angelfish
(1) Watanabei Angelfish (female)

(1) Rabbitfish OR Foxface
(1) Purple Tang
(1) Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang
(1) Orange Shoulder OR Achilles Tang

In place of the Marble Wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus), I would either add another wrasse in the list given by @i cant think , or what you could even do is pair your Cherub Angel so you have a pair of Centropyge.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

** Must have
(First)

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Pintail Wrasse
Marble Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse**
Yellow Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback

(Second)
Watanabei Angle (female)
Golden Spot Rabbit

(Last)

Purple Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Blue Eye Kole
Achilles Tang **
Naso Tang
The number of fish agreeable. Not sure how much time or in better terms over how much time you plan to introduce but I would do it slowly. For the tangs . . . based on size potential and temperament, I recommend in order:

Purple Tang 5
Orange Shoulder Tang - 1
Blue Eye Kole 4
Achilles Tang ** 3
Naso Tang 2

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of fish agreeable. Not sure how much time or in better terms over how much time you plan to introduce but I would do it slowly. For the tangs . . . based on size potential and temperament, I recommend in order:

Purple Tang 5
Orange Shoulder Tang - 1
Blue Eye Kole 4
Achilles Tang ** 3
Naso Tang 2
not all at once? I was planning all at once to cut down on aggression? I for sure can do that order over time. Im not in a rush on anything. willing to take the time needed.

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see in terms of the wrasses is the Marble Wrasse (I assume this is Halichoeres hortulanus). These guys will be nasty especially towards the Radiant and Yellow.

Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres richmondi
Xenojulis margaritaceus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses lineatus
Anampses twistii
Cirrhilabrus adornatus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Thank you. This is great.

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of large fish even for a 220, which I assume yours has the same footprint to the standard 180 (6 x 2 x 2) except taller, so it’s really no different from stocking a 180.

First batch looks good, with the wrasses and the Orchid Dottyback. The only exception is I don’t like the Marble Wrasse. They get bigger and more aggressive than most other Halichoeres, I think.

If you’re not willing to risk a Dottyback at all, I’d look into a Royal Gramma or Black Cap Basslet. I believe you can find Captive Bred specimens for both. Also worth looking into, if you can find any, are Assessors (ORA captive breeds some), Liopropoma basslets and Chalk Basslets (ORA breeds them, don’t know who carries them).

I like the inclusion of Angels in your stocking list and all of these are a good fit for your tank. I like the Hawkfish too, but beware of the possibility that it will take out inverts. Not sure how big the Gold Spotted Rabbit gets in captivity, I’d ask @i cant think. An alternative for a Rabbitfish would be the subgenus Lo, the Rabbitfish that we commonly call Foxfaces.

As for the Tangs, the only issue I see is the Naso Tang which could get too large and active. The Orange Shoulder Tang could be fine in a 220, @lion king has had his for almost a decade in his main tank which is very similar to yours.

The Achilles are known for being disease magnets more so than many other Tangs. They also need high flow and can get aggressive. You want to keep this in mind.

What I see here is too many large fish, and I’d take out one or two.

I would do:
Purple Tang
Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang (Binotatus)
Orange Shoulder Tang OR Achilles Tang
Rabbitfish OR Foxface
Regal Angelfish
Watanabei Angelfish

With Watanabei being the smallest of the group. They top out at 6” I think, I would expect 5” in captivity.

So your list could end up looking something like this:
(1) Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (C. Exquisitus)
(1) Pin Tail Fairy Wrasse (C. Isoceles)
(1) Canary Wrasse (H. Chrysus)
(1) Radiant Wrasse (H. Iridis)
(1) Earmuff Wrasse (H. Melanospmus)
(1) Orchid Dottyback / Royal Gramma / Black Cap Basslet / Other Basslet of your choice

(1) Falco Hawkfish (you could also consider a Flame or Longnose Hawk)
(1) Atlantic Cherub Angelfish
(1) Regal Angelfish
(1) Watanabei Angelfish (female)

(1) Rabbitfish OR Foxface
(1) Purple Tang
(1) Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang
(1) Orange Shoulder OR Achilles Tang

In place of the Marble Wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus), I would either add another wrasse in the list given by @i cant think , or what you could even do is pair your Cherub Angel so you have a pair of Centropyge.
Perfect. This is great. Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
not all at once? I was planning all at once to cut down on aggression? I for sure can do that order over time. Im not in a rush on anything. willing to take the time needed.
While you can, that is a huge impact on bioload of tank and I highly suggest quarantine first. I have 25 tangs and the most I introduce at once is 2 fish and I space it at least 12 weeks apart. My most aggressive tangs are introduced last

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can, that is a huge impact on bioload of tank and I highly suggest quarantine first. I have 25 tangs and the most I introduce at once is 2 fish and I space it at least 12 weeks apart. My most aggressive tangs are introduced last
I can do that. perfect. Thank you

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres richmondi
Xenojulis margaritaceus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses lineatus
Anampses twistii
Cirrhilabrus adornatus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Update: This is group 1 Wrasses - as my supplier and I went through the list this is what was available. Order has been made and they go into QT on Tuesday.

Halichoeres melasmapomus

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus

Cirrhilabrus brunneus

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki

Cirrhilabrus isosceles

Cirrhilabrus naokoae

Cirrhilabrus lineatus

any tips or advice above the obvious will be much appreciated. Thanks so much

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: This is group 1 Wrasses - as my supplier and I went through the list this is what was available. Order has been made and they go into QT on Tuesday.

Halichoeres melasmapomus

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus

Cirrhilabrus brunneus

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki

Cirrhilabrus isosceles

Cirrhilabrus naokoae

Cirrhilabrus lineatus

any tips or advice above the obvious will be much appreciated. Thanks so much
The Rhomboidalis and Isosceles are going to be short than you expect at first. The Brunneus may be shy at first as well but it’s less likely.

Your main issues may occur with the Lineatus and Lubbocki however the aggression from these will likely be flashing and nothing too bad. I assume they’re going in together? If so you should be alright just watch for any proper aggression (Generally this will last longer than 1-2 days and will result in fish being trapped in one corner, being shyer or having very badly torn fins).

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you suggest putting them in together Or separate?

Thank you so much for the help

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you suggest putting them in together Or separate?

Thank you so much for the help
Putting them in together is the best thing to do however if that’s not possible add the Isosceles, Rhomboidalis and Exquisitus first. Then add the Naokoae and Lubbocki together and then finally add the Melasmopomus and Lineatus together. Also, if you can then get all of them as either very small males or females. This will give you the longest lifespan out of them all :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

** Must have
(First)

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Pintail Wrasse
Marble Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse**
Yellow Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback

(Second)
Watanabei Angle (female)
Golden Spot Rabbit

(Last)

Purple Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Blue Eye Kole
Achilles Tang **
Naso Tang
Regal will be a challenge as they need a mature system to thrive but cant be added after the tangs as they probably would harass it. They are timid at first and hard to get eating frozen food and a lot of people lose them if the tank isnt perfect for them same with achilles tangs as you need to set the tank up specifically for them. @vetteguy53081 would be able to help with that part as I did basic research on them and decided the achilles wouldnt be good in my tank. Stunning fish though; look forward to seeing your tank when its up and running!

OP
OP
aphinney

aphinney

WRASSES AND SPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal will be a challenge as they need a mature system to thrive but cant be added after the tangs as they probably would harass it. They are timid at first and hard to get eating frozen food and a lot of people lose them if the tank isnt perfect for them same with achilles tangs as you need to set the tank up specifically for them. @vetteguy53081 would be able to help with that part as I did basic research on them and decided the achilles wouldnt be good in my tank. Stunning fish though; look forward to seeing your tank when its up and running!
I was actually thinking something similar. I am probably going to get the regal to add to qt and the display with the first group. I will probably do that actually regarding the Regal.

@vetteguy53081 has shined his wisdom on the stock list as well ive done a good amount of research on it. Tons of flow and lots of swimming room with super clean water and a UV is a must. I guess im not sold on the achilles. Im more interested in fish that are beautiful that you don't see everywhere. Possibly going to go Gold Rim over the Achilles. Im a bit fluid on the stock list. Thanks so much littlefoxx

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking something similar. I am probably going to get the regal to add to qt and the display with the first group. I will probably do that actually regarding the Regal.

@vetteguy53081 has shined his wisdom on the stock list as well ive done a good amount of research on it. Tons of flow and lots of swimming room with super clean water and a UV is a must. I guess im not sold on the achilles. Im more interested in fish that are beautiful that you don't see everywhere. Possibly going to go Gold Rim over the Achilles. Im a bit fluid on the stock list. Thanks so much littlefoxx
I vote Goldrim over Achilles, you see achilles everywhere but gold rims just get ignored and they’re honestly the nicest.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Youre welcome! I do love regals, one of my favorite angels. Mine is very active in the tank now that shes comfortable and I see her out and about all the time. Stunning fish! And yeah gold rims are beautiful fish! Heres my regal Annabelle! Orange belly red sea variant.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.png
    IMG_2377.png
    917.3 KB · Views: 32

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back