Another Tank Reseal Question

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a 90g RR very cheap. I'll need to silicone another overflow into place. I think it's an older Oceanic center overflow because the 2 bottom holes are drilled close to each other in the center.

Silicone doesn't look great. I want to reseal the interior seams. I've taken tanks apart before and there is always a film of silicone after separating the panels. I use a solvent and emory cloth to remove it.

How do you get all the thin film off the glass when you're NOT taking it all apart? I just want to reseal the interior seams and leave the top/bottom trims in place. I'm afraid to use any solvents.... feels like that may weaken the actual bond between the panels.

Any other tips?

How much silicone does it take to reseal a 90g tank? How many standard 10oz caulking tubes?

If you recommend a solvent, what type?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are NOT going to want to use any solvent. Solvent will soak into the silicone and weaken it. I am afraid a fresh stack of razor blades is in your future.

z28reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on not using solvents. Those razor blade scraper handles may make your life easier, your hands will definitely thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back