Antenna on monti and tiny worm's on glass

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was scoping out my new pod population with a flashlight and came across this small tiny worm. I couldn't see limbs on it until I added magnifying lens to my phone.

Also noticed these antennas on only my montipora. Pictured is a monti cap from TSA and there was also the same critter on a encrusting fruity pebbles monti from TSA as well. Both came in same order.

Ive always dipped my corals before adding to my tanks and have never had any pests in 2 years of reefing. I got this shipment a few months ago so I'm not sure if they have spread beyond the montipora yet. I went over every coral in tank and can't find them on anything else.

I pulled the fruity pebbles out and gave it a dip in a potent mix of coral rx and it didn't phase these antenna creatures, but some other small skinny worm came out. Looked like one end was black and the other was kind of clear. It looked smooth, but I didn't magnify it so it could have had limbs as well.

I'll be pulling this monti cap as I don't want any pests, whether good or bad. Already got rid of the fruity pebbles even after trying to frag smaller pieces off to save it, but didn't know exactly where the critter was in the frag.

Can y'all ID these and give me any info on whether they are good or bad and how to eradicate them if possible?

Thanks

Screenshot_20230512-110918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230512-110954_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just two feeding tentacles (palps) sticking out, I'd guess Coral Boring Spionid Worms:

OP
OP
SuthernReefer

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vertimed snail tube on the monti.

The other is just a pod. Good guy. Looks like an amphipoda pod. It has a contraction and expansion movement like a worn
Don't think it's a pod. It compresses and expands like a worm. After research, it looks like a detritus worm, but I haven't found any close up images that show limbs like this does with magnified lens.

OP
OP
SuthernReefer

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just two feeding tentacles (palps) sticking out, I'd guess Coral Boring Spionid Worms:
Thank you, this is exactly what those boogers are. Now to figure out what thre other is

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back