Anthia Gasping ???

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthia might have been doing this the hole time but I don’t think so. This fish just started gasping ( opening his mouth wide ??? ) and then closing and swimming and eating normal but ever now and then he’s like ahhhhhhhh ( don’t have picture so you get subtitles) what do you think it is and should I be concerned ?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more a @Jay Hemdal question

Is it gasping or a yawn? Like does it look like its struggling to breathe, taking big breathes or is it doing one big mouth opening and possibly extending its whole mouth and opening its gills fully?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like it is yawning? That can be a sign of flukes.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on flukes and if so , you can apply Ruby Rally pro safely in the tank as well as PraziPro. If prazi, apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you visibly see them ?

Do you mean see flukes? No, gill flukes would be small and in the gill chambers. Skin flukes are also too small to see. Neobenedenia flukes can sometimes be see if they are on a fish's eyes.

Most flukes are diagnosed by their secondary symptoms - rapid breathing, frayed fins, scratching and coughing.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to take the fish out of the tank to do the treatment?
Prazipro is safe for your display tank - just be sure the tank has good aeration, dose it twice, 8 days apart for the actual amount of water that the tank holds.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back