Anthias and/or wrasses

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a large tank set up (72x30x25) can I keep both a school of 4-5 Lyretail Anthias and several Fairy Wrasses (Pintail, Exquisite, Labouti, Carpenter, 8 Line, etc)?

Or do I have to pick one or the other?

Other planned tankmates are 2 clowns, multie tangs and a couple of Halichoeres wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a large tank set up (72x30x25) can I keep both a school of 4-5 Lyretail Anthias and several Fairy Wrasses (Pintail, Exquisite, Labouti, Carpenter, 8 Line, etc)?

Other planned tankmates are 2 clowns, multie tangs and a couple of Halichoeres wrasses.
In any tank (suitable for both species of course) you can have Wrasses and anthias.
You cant mix the same species of Wrasses however you can mix different species of them from the same genus.

Personally, I wouldn’t do multiple (3+) tangs and instead do 1-2 max then go for a few other large species such as angels in a 6’ tank of that size.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Plan to keep a mixed reef of corals so no angels for me.

I am a bit torn - more small fish vs fewer larger fish. Chocolate Tang and Twin-spot Tang are must haves for me (my wife wants a PBT but...).

Always loved anthias but never kept them previously due to feeding requirements and that they are so similar to fairy wrasse shape.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Plan to keep a mixed reef of corals so no angels for me.

I am a bit torn - more small fish vs fewer larger fish. Chocolate Tang and Twin-spot Tang are must haves for me (my wife wants a PBT but...).

Always loved anthias but never kept them previously due to feeding requirements and that they are so similar to fairy wrasse shape.
I have a thread about keeping RSWC fish in a reef if you’re interested :)

Honestly, more small fish is what makes a reef look like a reef. In the wild you rarely see 6-7 huge fish in one spot and are more likely to see 20-30 smaller species such as Trimma gobies and other communal fish. Then you’ll see maybe 3-4 larger fish swimming around.
I would personally do this;
1 group of Trimma gobies (5-6)
1 group of Eviota gobies (3-4)
1 group of another species of Trimma (3-4)
2-3 other groups of small species that are communal
1 group of wrasses (6-7 different species)
1-2 tangs
2 other large fish (foxface, Angel, butterfly)

Obviously this is just a suggestion. But honestly, 6-7 large fish in a tank makes the tank itself look small and I’d assume you want to make the tank look as natural as possible as well as make it look large and ‘majestic’. The other thing if you go smaller fish, you have more territory and can have more fish and some tanks I’ve seen built this way have 30-40+ fish in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I have 6 anthias and had fairy wrasse with them until I got an offer for both.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread about keeping RSWC fish in a reef if you’re interested :)

Honestly, more small fish is what makes a reef look like a reef. In the wild you rarely see 6-7 huge fish in one spot and are more likely to see 20-30 smaller species such as Trimma gobies and other communal fish. Then you’ll see maybe 3-4 larger fish swimming around.
I would personally do this;
1 group of Trimma gobies (5-6)
1 group of Eviota gobies (3-4)
1 group of another species of Trimma (3-4)
4-5 other groups of small species that are communal
1-2 tangs
2 other large fish (foxface, Angel, butterfly)

Obviously this is just a suggestion. But honestly, 6-7 large fish in a tank makes the tank itself look small and I’d assume you want to make the tank look as natural as possible as well as make it look large and ‘majestic’.
Very valid point. I will have to research trimmas.

Is RSWC - reef safe with care? If so, where do the centropyge group of angels fit in (lime multibar, coral beauty, flame, etc)?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very valid point. I will have to research trimmas.

Os RSWC - reef safe with care? If so, where do the centropyge group of angels fit in (lime multibar, coral beauty, flame, etc)?
Centropyge are on the Reef Safe with Caution side, which is generally in the middle of the scale. Yes, RSWC is my shortened way of saying ‘Reef Safe With Caution’ :)

As for Trimma’s they’re generally as easy as most other gobies however these guys and Eviota species are communal gobies and tend to be found in small groups of 5-6 in the wild.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what is you view of Swallowtail Angels (a pair is on my short list)?
I assume you mean Genicanthus melanospilos, if you do then absolutely! These guys are 100% reef safe to my knowledge and experience. The shallow water Genicanthus species tend to be riskier but the deeper water species (Caudovittatus, Melanospilos, Semifasciatus ect) tend to be safer with coral.
I am. Can you share a link?
Here you go :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-safe-with-caution-animals-in-reef-tanks.959476/

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people keep angels, including dwarfs and even butterflies in reefs and it is absolutely worth it.

There seems to be an obsession with tangs in the USA but I have seen many Japanese type tanks with more butters and angels and not so much Tangs. Perhaps because they are cheap and common there.. and simply beautiful.

I agree that tanks with many smaller filler fish and only a few larger fish look nicer then one with all large fish. Freshwater enthusiasts already know this. They want the tanks to look larger then they are and feel impressive so the scale of the fish matters.

That being said, the heart wants what the heart wants.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like the tangs primarily for their herbivorous appetites to help with algae control (in addition to their relative ease of acquisition and activity they bring to a tank). This discussion has really opened my eyes to other options that I was not aware of or thinking about previously.

This is why I value a site like this.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like the tangs primarily for their herbivorous appetites to help with algae control (in addition to their relative ease of acquisition and activity they bring to a tank). This discussion has really opened my eyes to other options that I was not aware of or thinking about previously.

This is why I value a site like this.
I definitely love this site, and one thing I tend to say to people when helping out is;
Why have knowledge but never share it? Even just a small bit of knowledge can be a huge eyeopener to someone else!

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am intrigued to learn more.

Anthias with wrasses is a YES.

I have already learned a great deal from the wrasse lovers thread. Is there a similar one for anthias or Centropyge angels?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am intrigued to learn more.

Anthias with wrasses is a YES.

I have already learned a great deal from the wrasse lovers thread. Is there a similar one for anthias or Centropyge angels?
There is an Angel lovers thread which has all species of angels from the smallest in Centropyge to the largest in Pomacanthus and Holocanthus :)
It also has knowledge from common ones like C. bispinosa and also rare ones like G. personatus.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back