OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are very active fish that love to swim and eat. Even swimming stationary in the water column requires a lot of energy, meaning alot of food. I love anthias and have been most successful keeping at least 5+ of any given species. Currently have 22 anthias in my tank and seeing how they interact with one another in such a large group/shoal/harem, I couldn't imagine keeping one or two singly. To me, it doesn't feel or look right. I'd skip them unless you can do like a single sunburst or borbonias.
Do you mean bartlett's anthias I could not find borbonias.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean bartlett's anthias I could not find borbonias.

Borbonius and sunburst anthias are both deeper depth fish. You haven't posted much about your experience as a hobbyist, but based on the fish that you posted you currently have and want, you're still pretty new to the hobby. That's not meant to be negative, just an observation. Anthias have very specific care requirements, which also impact the remainder of your tank. Constant feedings mean a really hardy nutrient export system. They're also not compatible with the other two fish that you want. They are absolutely gorgeous fish, but they're also unpredictable. You'll get responses from people saying they never had trouble keeping them to others telling you they can't keep a group of lyretails alive. I know this because I'm researching anthias right now as well for my tank. What this tells me is that the viability of anthias in a particular tank is highly subjective to the conditions in which it's being kept. It's not like a damsel which is very hardy and can survive just about anywhere. This means that understanding the behaviors, conditions, and care necessary for anthias, along with a bit of luck, is probably a huge factor in their survival rate.

Blue ribbon eels are another item that are frequently sold at your LFS to an unsuspecting buyer. They are gorgeous. But even as eels go, they are not easy. In many cases, they never eat once caught and slowly starve to death. I highly recommend researching other eels that are easier to care for and are equally stunning in a predator tank (that's what you're creating, a predator tank). I had a white ribbon eel for years that was wonderful (until an undulated trigger ate his face...it was terrible). I had another dwarf moray that ate pellets and lived with a maroon clown who hated everyone but him.

I'm not telling you any of this to discourage you, but rather to help you understand the fish you'd like to purchase. It would be a shame for you to get some anthias or an eel, only to have them die very quickly. It's bad for the fish, and obviously discouraging for you.

Good luck with your stocking list!

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess I will skip anthias. I have done a whole lot of research on ribbon eels and this tank was mainly set up for one. I have live guppies that I bread for that purpose. I am not getting one until next year though because as you said I am new and this is my first tank I should wait until me and my tank are more mature. Also thank you for your input cit was very helpful.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess I will skip anthias. I have done a whole lot of research on ribbon eels and this tank was mainly set up for one. I have live guppies that I bread for that purpose. I am not getting one until next year though because as you said I am new and this is my first tank I should wait until me and my tank are more mature. Also thank you for your input cit was very helpful.

Good luck to you! You're doing the right thing, which is researching animals and their care requirements before you buy them! The forum is set up to ask questions and learn (I do all the time). There's some people on here who have predator tanks and eels.... of course I can't think of any right now.... but I bet if you search for "eels" across the forum, you'll find some great information that will help you be successful in whatever eels you choose to keep!

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you! You're doing the right thing, which is researching animals and their care requirements before you buy them! The forum is set up to ask questions and learn (I do all the time). There's some people on here who have predator tanks and eels.... of course I can't think of any right now.... but I bet if you search for "eels" across the forum, you'll find some great information that will help you be successful in whatever eels you choose to keep!
Thanks.

Grape_City_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got a shipment in last week and had 3-4 Anthias arrive that were close to 6" each the store owner has never received them in that large before. Moral to the story they get big, if they have them this week I will try to get a picture and post it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said back in post #5 …. it depends on the species. Pseudoanthias is a large genus with large species and small species; hard species and easier species …..

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back