Anthias Questions

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know much about the requirement for this fish so please inform me. I know the need to be fed 3-8x a day with different variety of food. But what else, can I keep one in a 10 gallon? Can I keep different types of them in one tank? Are they aggressive?

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, go onto Live Aquaria for some good knowledge on anthias species, basic care requirements, and temperaments. They have some good base line information that should help you answer those basic questions. I find their website very helpful for those sort of things. It's what I do anyways!

But I can't think of a single anthias that would be good in a 10g long term.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with truetricia, anthias are probably too active for a 10 gallon. My lyretails are very active. Look up bennies & gobies, I believe there's a decent amount suitable for a 10 gallon.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudoanthias (actually) are tricky fish for a number of reasons. They’re also a wide ranging genus with easier and harder to keep species. A number of them get quite large and need space, others stay quite small and need a lot less space. 10 gallon is probably pushing it, but you could keep a single resplendant in a 20L.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with a few species of Anthias has dictated that minimum tank size should be about 50 gallons. They're typically recommended for small groups, rather than just one individual. Additionally, similar to wrasses, fully developed males will fight if there's any more than one. Jt's usually recommended that one get one male with a harem of females...if the male dies, one of the females will develop into a male to take his place.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No first hand experience, but what I've heard about eels and lionfish is that if another fish fits into their mouths, it's dinner. Depending on the size of either of them, Anthias could be pretty tasty.

Absent of the predators, a group of 5-7 Bartlett, Dispar, or Randall's Anthias would do pretty well, as they're generally smaller than Square Spot, which can reach 4-5 inches.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on a smaller lionfish with two clowns three dominos and a blue ribbon eel. I like anthias and was wondering if they could squeeze into my list. I am also planning to set up a smaller 10-40 gl aquarium for my hermit who outgrew the 60 gl with a wobbly rock structure.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to skip the lion, as it'll probably eat both the clowns & dominos. Also, the blue ribbon eels are difficult, so make sure to really research.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They need good room and grow quickly as they feed frequently. Can be semi aggressive towards each other.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on a smaller lionfish with two clowns three dominos and a blue ribbon eel. I like anthias and was wondering if they could squeeze into my list. I am also planning to set up a smaller 10-40 gl aquarium for my hermit who outgrew the 60 gl with a wobbly rock structure.
Even a smaller lion has a BIG mouth. I had a cute little fumanchu inhale a 2inch clown... no issue with anthias that get too close either then

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added three lyretail anthias in my 100g 3 years ago when i saw a friend of mine (beginner reefer) been able to keep them easily.
One went mia the following year but the remaining two were just fine with no special requirements (no extra feeding, just 2 meals per day) until last month.
The smaller one died without explanation and now my last one is acting funny.
That being said, 3 years for a "expert only" fish is not that bad.
Really fun to watch, they love to swim so anything under 50-75g would be inapropriate imo.
C0B0DFDA-C9E0-4382-BC6D-337DC8258D45.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Always keep this rule in mind:
“ ANY FISH THAT CAN FIT IN ANOTHER FISHs’ MOUTH SOONER OR LATER WILL” !!

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single anthias with the clowns and dominos can work in a 60 gallons. It's not ideal as they can grow quite big, easily double the size of a full grown clownfish. But should be able to get couple years there and look for upgrade later.

Also keeping a group is best for letting the male showcase its vibrant color. When keeping a single male, there are chance that it will reverse back to female to some extent, probably when it's not the dominant fish in the tank. I had a male square anthias that turn from the male's purple color back to more of orange like the female. The square was still there, but also faded somewhat.

Lol21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ivr never had success with anthias.. i can keep any fish or coral.. but anthias always die in days mouth open.. its weird

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its so weird. They’re obviously challenging as i at one time couldn’t keep them alive and I have 6 at least 2 years old and were a little over an inch and now over 3” and just went through a tank transfer and doing super
CF4D2AA0-784F-49D1-9BA6-1CDD1262CAEA.jpeg
997EE6E9-72C9-43CC-96ED-9202CD0271D2.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are very active fish that love to swim and eat. Even swimming stationary in the water column requires a lot of energy, meaning alot of food. I love anthias and have been most successful keeping at least 5+ of any given species. Currently have 22 anthias in my tank and seeing how they interact with one another in such a large group/shoal/harem, I couldn't imagine keeping one or two singly. To me, it doesn't feel or look right. I'd skip them unless you can do like a single sunburst or borbonias.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input I think I will do my lion and eel in this tank and later on start a new and bigger tank for mainly them. I might try a single sunburst or borbonias like SeaDweller said. I have lots of flow and swimming room and am able to feed plenty of times a day. I do not have a lion or eel yet.

My tank:
1571831559218.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back