Anthias riding glass.

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had him for 24 hours and this is what he does "see video" he has not left this corner he does go to the back and chills on a rock every so often. He is constantly running the glass all day

Attachments

• 20231213_184019.mp4
    50.3 MB
  • 20231213_184019.mp4
    50.3 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my phone, so I can't see the video at the moment, but the description "running the glass all day" sounds like it may be "glass surfing" - can the fish see its reflection in the glass?
glass shows reflections when there's a substantial difference in the amount of light on both sides (i.e. when one side is light and the other dark, the side with more light will start reflecting). So, if the lights are off outside of the tank but you have moonlighting or something on the inside of the tank, it's possible that the amount of light in the tank is enough to cause reflections on the glass.

I have no idea if this is the problem for your tank, but if it is you could just light up the dark side and the reflection would go away, or you could block the light from hitting the light side and that should get rid of the reflection as well. For it being lighter in the tank and darker out of it, I've seen someone put a white piece of paper on the outside of the their tank to reduce the light difference inside vs. outside, and that successfully eliminated the reflection they were getting; some other suggestions include blocking the light from hitting the glass inside, or putting little LED's around the outside to light it out and decrease the difference in light.

Regardless of if this is what's causing problems for you or not, though, I hope you're able to figure out what's wrong soon - best of luck!

As I mentioned in my initial post, these reflections appear when one side of the glass is brightly lit and the other side is much darker.

So, to get rid of the reflection, try lighting up the outside of the tank and see if that helps. One way you could do this is by running some LED strips around the outside of the tank so that they light up the glass. This thread might give you some more ideas too:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have had him for 24 hours and this is what he does "see video" he has not left this corner he does go to the back and chills on a rock every so often. He is constantly running the glass all day
Assure flow is not excessive and reduce white lights a little to reduce reflection.

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes it's darker in the living room and brighter in the tank. It's just crazy when you see the video he has done that all day his tail fin never stops. But like now he's just chilling on a rock in the back corner. I'll figure out something tomorrow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back