Anthias Thread...

DallasJohn210

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flavo is the best...1 lived of 20. Mine. I love him! Doubled in size in 4 months! Thank God...keep eating man!

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out the key on keeping these things alive after a second try!!!! CHEA!!!! Prawn Eggs are the only things my purple queens will feed very aggressively on. They love this stuff and so does the rest of the tank. I have tried to feed many other things and they don't even show interest, but when I feed them the prawn eggs they love it.

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who else have had experience with Bartlett's being aggressive over time? I'm thinking of complimenting my trio of Lyretails with Bartlett's but am not sure now if the Bartlett's are a good choice coz they might get aggressive over time. they might all turn male and kill each other. I was thinking of just getting a trio too. OR should I just add two or three more female Lyretails later? any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Peter, (SDGuy) Marvin. He had a big write up on anthias a couple of years ago on another forum and he knows how the bartletts change. He has had quite a bit of experience with them.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM Peter, (SDGuy) Marvin. He had a big write up on anthias a couple of years ago on another forum and he knows how the bartletts change. He has had quite a bit of experience with them.
already did bro. :wink:

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys! :D While I only have a few Anthias right now, I will be getting some in real soon. Ill be placing an order for them with my next coral order.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got some dispars coming Monday...gonna give those a try. I really wanted the bartletts but they are too expensive.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got some dispars coming Monday...gonna give those a try. I really wanted the bartletts but they are too expensive.
sounds good. how many are you getting? are Dispar's suppose to be less aggressive than Bartlett's?

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good. how many are you getting? are Dispar's suppose to be less aggressive than Bartlett's?
i'm pickin up 5...as for aggression i wouldn't know since i've never kept them before..the tricky part is gonna be getting them to eat.we got 5 in at work, they've been there since monday and so far i havent seen them eat anything i've offered like live brine, live black worms, mysis....all they are doing right now is hiding.Hopefully they get hungry enough soon and start eating.

Luisra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm pickin up 5...as for aggression i wouldn't know since i've never kept them before..the tricky part is gonna be getting them to eat.we got 5 in at work, they've been there since monday and so far i havent seen them eat anything i've offered like live brine, live black worms, mysis....all they are doing right now is hiding.Hopefully they get hungry enough soon and start eating.

I have my dispars for more than six months, and 2 of them are males, they aren't aggressive toward each other, but I can be sure than one of them has a higher rank in the harem. The lyretails are REALLY aggressive toward each other and to other anthias, specially the male.

ddiver try rotifers and reef plankton, it has worked for me since day one. Before feeding time, turn up your powerheads so they can't take a close look at the food and use a turkey baster to baste the live rock, anthias will start feeding on pods, and then you throw in the mysys, brine, etc... If you can get a koralia or a powerhead with a timer on your sump, this will bring pods to the water column.
My Dispar anthias(male) was a female

They look really crazy on actinic light

Feeding time (Rogger's food)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck on both yours and the ones at the stores. since I've had success with the Lyretails so far with them feeding the first day I got them, I'm leaning towards just adding a few more Lyretail females down the road if that's okay to do. if not, I might just look into getting other fishes.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my dispars for more than six months, and 2 of them are males, they aren't aggressive toward each other, but I can be sure than one of them has a higher rank in the harem. The lyretails are REALLY aggressive toward each other and to other anthias, specially the male.
so, again.. I'm leaning towards just adding more female Lyretails. I really do like the females coloration. it would be nice to have other anthias if introducing the new ones won't be an issue later down the road. :confused:

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just for kicks! you've seen them in my tank thread but I thought I'd add them here too. :)

Male Lyretail
12-28-2010MaleLyretail1.jpg

12-28-2010MaleLyretail2.jpg

12-28-2010MaleLyretail3.jpg

Female Lyretail 1
12-28-2010FemaleLyretail2.jpg

Female Lyretail 2
12-28-2010FemaleLyretail1.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back