Anthias with SAPROLEGNIA

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an anthias with what I believe is saprolegnia. It's a white fungus on his scales. It's one spot that has grown quickly. I returned from being out of town and saw the spot. I have my QT setup. Catching the fish will be a challenge; a 180g DT. My number one preference is to get the fish into QT and treat there. Second option is to treat in the main tank using Kordon Rid Fungus and/or API Pimafix. I have one toadstool, several zoas, on polyp and three new SPS frags.

I'm looking for opinions and options for treatment. Has anyone used either of these products safely in a reef tank?

I'm planning several partial water changes over the next few days.

Thanks.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him in QT. Catching him was quicker than I thought it was; but there were three of us with nets...:). Here are some pictures. One with flash and one without.

20161230_184812.jpg

20161230_184819.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably a bacterial disease, but I cannot say for certain that it is not a rare fungal infection. o_O

I've been unsuccessful in treating fish with similar looking infections using my "go to" antibiotics. :(

I told myself the next time I encountered it I would try either Triple Sulfa Powder or roll the dice on Melafix + Pimafix combo.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy that looks bad. I'd go with humble on this one. Looks bacterial to me as well, but hard to say for sure.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. At present I used Kordon Methylene Blue. I'll let this stay as is for the night. Then I'll do a partial water change and try the Melafix + Pimafix combo; since I have those in the house.

Should I try to gently rub it off the skin?

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that does not look good. Good luck with this man, sorry I don't have any information to share.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. At present I used Kordon Methylene Blue. I'll let this stay as is for the night. Then I'll do a partial water change and try the Melafix + Pimafix combo; since I have those in the house.

Should I try to gently rub it off the skin?

I wouldn't. You can accidentally damage what's left of the slime coat in other areas of the fish lessening his chances of getting better. I'll hold a good thought for him though... I really hope he pulls through.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it over night. And neither did my phone. What shouldn't you do with your phone when you have a GoPro with a waterproof case? Listen to the voice that said "It's just a quick picture. I'll be careful". When taking the picture my phone dropped into the water. It didn't go far down because I had netted the fish for the picture. But still, water and electronics don't mix. Tried rice overnight but the phone won't charge. Double loss.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it over night. And neither did my phone. What shouldn't you do with your phone when you have a GoPro with a waterproof case? Listen to the voice that said "It's just a quick picture. I'll be careful". When taking the picture my phone dropped into the water. It didn't go far down because I had netted the fish for the picture. But still, water and electronics don't mix. Tried rice overnight but the phone won't charge. Double loss.

That really sucks, on both accounts. :(

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! I came to the thread hoping to read you had saved your fish.

I hope your other anthias stay healthy and happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back