Lympho? Fungus?

figgins5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- New to the forum and looking for some advice/help. I recently added a bi colored angel and noticed spots around the fins and gills. Spots grew in size over the past few days and now resemble cauliflower. I attached a video and some pictures. I have tried to QT but have been unsuccessful in catching him. Respiratory rate looks good but has not been eating the last week and hiding more. I did treat DT with Prazi for a 5 days. Did a water change and ran carbon. All other fish are fine and eating well. (Fish only w live rock). I did some research and looks like Lympho. (No treatment) but wondering if it could be bacterial or fungus? Newish to the hobby and appreciate the help! IMG_7018.jpeg IMG_7019.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7021.mov
    24.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- New to the forum and looking for some advice/help. I recently added a bi colored angel and noticed spots around the fins and gills. Spots grew in size over the past few days and now resemble cauliflower. I attached a video and some pictures. I have tried to QT but have been unsuccessful in catching him. Respiratory rate looks good but has not been eating the last week and hiding more. I did treat DT with Prazi for a 5 days. Did a water change and ran carbon. All other fish are fine and eating well. (Fish only w live rock). I did some research and looks like Lympho. (No treatment) but wondering if it could be bacterial or fungus? Newish to the hobby and appreciate the help! IMG_7018.jpeg IMG_7019.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Unfortunately, that isn’t Lymphocystis. See how the lesion on the belly is erupting from under the scales? That means this is an internal infection. The rapid breathing and not eating means the infection is systemic (far advanced).
One common cause for this is Icthyophonus hoferi, an internal fungal infection. Sorry, but that is not treatable. Luckily, it also does not seem to be highly contagious to other fish.

Jay

OP
OP
figgins5

figgins5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Unfortunately, that isn’t Lymphocystis. See how the lesion on the belly is erupting from under the scales? That means this is an internal infection. The rapid breathing and not eating means the infection is systemic (far advanced).
One common cause for this is Icthyophonus hoferi, an internal fungal infection. Sorry, but that is not treatable. Luckily, it also does not seem to be highly contagious to other fish.

Jay
Thank you Jay. I appreciate your response. I will hold off on any treatment and just focus on water maintenance and health of the other fish. Do you think it was a good chance he had it before I put him in my DT? Also, any suggestions on meds for QT to prevent most common illnesses that have worked for you? A lot of different opinions. I am learning through my mistakes and the mistake on this guy was no QT (will do for all in the future. Have just got lucky to this point) Thank you again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. I appreciate your response. I will hold off on any treatment and just focus on water maintenance and health of the other fish. Do you think it was a good chance he had it before I put him in my DT? Also, any suggestions on meds for QT to prevent most common illnesses that have worked for you? A lot of different opinions. I am learning through my mistakes and the mistake on this guy was no QT (will do for all in the future. Have just got lucky to this point) Thank you again!

I can't say how/when that infection occurred, and I'm only guessing Ichthyophonus based on the way the lesions look.

Going forward, here is a link to our current quarantine protocol:

Bear in mind though, that it won't help with rare infections like this one, nothing will really.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back