Anthias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guitareefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Anthias. I think theyre so pretty and full of spunk lol

I had 3 lyretail in my 300 gallon about 6 months ago. One ended up disappearing.

Months passed and one of the remaining two would just stay in the middle to upper section of the corner of the tank. Just staying in one spot. I would feed the tank and he'd start chasing the food but never ate any. A couple days ago, it died :(

Now the last remaining one I'm finding going to that same spot in the tank. Just swimming in place and in that same corner. I just fed the tank and it went after food but not eating.

Any thoughts on why they act so weird? Lol

I have 4 yellow tangs, sailfin, potters Angel, coral beauty, Midas blenny, leopard wrasse, mandarin goby.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really wierd... What are you feeding and how often?

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 Bartlett’s in a 200g bin all coexisting together. I plan on having a shoal of 40-50 once I move and build my 800g or more tank

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within that 6 month period, did you ever notice them actually eating the food or have they just taken it in and spit it out? In the beginning you have to train them to take food larger then Plankton or pods. Once they understand that food is larger they will begin eating. If you get them eating pellets you have done really well.

As others have said my 6 anthias (4 Evansi and 2 Purple princess) eat very well and love LRS Reef Frenzy. The only other thing I can get them to eat in Brine shrimp or the PE Mysis small particles. Have seen them take in a whole PE mysis shrimp piece, but immediately spit it out because they couldn't figure out what to do with it.

If you can't get them to eat, the will parish fairly quickly. As you stated they start doing odd behavior and swimming in a place they usually don't go. Then not long will pass away. But with that said, I do have one of my Evansi, that swims off by himself and the other 3 swim together most of the day. When the others come close, he will switch sides of the tank. :)

OP
OP
guitareefs

guitareefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies

I feed pe mysis pellets and sometimes frozen mysis. I feed LRS as well

Now that you mention It, i did notice them eat then spit the food out. The one still remaining I know does eat the pellets. The others I didn't notice too well to confirm. Makes sense. They seemed fat and happy until the first just disappeared. Then the other passed last week.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one train a fish to eat?

Try to mimic natural foods first. Once they get eating healthy, they need to eat several times a day, add other foods with what they already eat. Small food for anthias. Fish eggs, nutramar ova, chop up mysis and LRS if it's big. I feed my anthias about 5 times a day and rotate between about 6 varieties of frozen throughout the week. 3 types at a time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back