Antibiotic Needed?

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone advise antibiotic I can use with copper power which is safe. My Niger Trigger has a bacterial infection I believe. I have already use Maracyn 2 for 8 days with out copper power in tank since then I have place him in a tank containing Copper Power. Thanks for any input!

IMG_0407.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone advise antibiotic I can use with copper power which is safe. My Niger Trigger has a bacterial infection I believe. I have already use Maracyn 2 for 8 days with out copper power in tank since then I have place him in a tank containing Copper Power. Thanks for any input!

IMG_0407.jpeg
My goodness. My recommended treatment is Seachem Neoplex which addresses both fungal and bacterial issues but One who works with pathogenic issues and would like for him to chime in is @Jay Hemdal

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal .

Before jay gets here - can you go to the bottom of my signature - and answer the questions on that list - it will be a big help. Without a history - it will be difficult to even start to figure out what that is. The fish itself looks wasted and thin.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0407.jpeg

Is the lesion just on the fish's right side?
How long did this take to grow?

As @MnFish1 said, we need additional background information. The fish does look wasted away.

I've never seen a bacterial plaque quite this severe. It might be a rarer fungal infection. There isn't any way to tell without doing a scrape and looking under a microscope - if you can see fibers/strands, then it is a fungus, if you can't, then it is more likely bacterial.

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goodness. My recommended treatment is Seachem Neoplex which addresses both fungal and bacterial issues but One who works with pathogenic issues and would like for him to chime in is @Jay Hemdal
Thank for input
Is the lesion just on the fish's right side?
How long did this take to grow?

As @MnFish1 said, we need additional background information. The fish does look wasted away.

I've never seen a bacterial plaque quite this severe. It might be a rarer fungal infection. There isn't any way to tell without doing a scrape and looking under a microscope - if you can see fibers/strands, then it is a fungus, if you can't, then it is more likely bacterial.

Jay
its on both sides looks like a fungus? Thanks for your time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for input

I’m not sure if it is bacterial plaque or a fungus - being on both sides of the fish tends to rule out an injury as being the start of this. I’ve never seen this before, so I’m just speculating here….
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank for input

Still thinking fungus and recommend seachem neoplex
If eat, add seachem metroplex to the foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saprolegnia, “water mold” can’t live in seawater, freshwater only. There are a few other, much rarer fungal infections of marine fish, most are internal.
Jay
Interesting it was from a reef article. I’ll post it after I’m done with this appt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Below is the quotation from the article I was reading. Of @Jay Hemdal is correct - its a freshwater fungus:). There are scientific reports of it in marine fish (mostly in brackish water).

Here is the quote from the Article:
"
There are several different types of marine fungus, some of which are normally harmless to aquarium fish. Saprolegnia fungi, for example, are common in all types of aquariums and they typically feed on organic waste like dead fish and uneaten fish food. In cases of poor water quality, however, this fungus may start to grow on aquarium fish, especially if its gills or skin have already been damaged. Overcrowding and stress in the saltwater aquarium may also increase the likelihood that normally harmless fungus will begin to attack your fish.

The most common type of fungal infection in saltwater and freshwater aquarium sis body fungus – this type of infection is very distinctive and generally easy to diagnose. These fungal infections typically manifest in the form of fuzzy patches growing on the body or fins of infected fish. As the infection spreads, the growths may become enlarged and could begin to take on a green or brownish tint as a result of debris particles becoming trapped on the filaments. Once this type of fungal infection sets in, it can quickly spread throughout the body of infected fish. Though the infection usually does not penetrate any deeper than the superficial muscle and gill layers of the body, it can cause severe damage. Some fungus may also excrete harmful chemicals that can weaken the immune systems of infected fish, leaving them more susceptible to secondary infections."

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Sorry not meaning to hijack. I have a maroon clown female that I tried to pair with a like sized maroom clown. They beat each other up pretty well. They live i separate aquariums now. They are healing. One of them has two tufts of white in it. One on the front pectoral fin and one on the gill plate. I thought it was just cartilidge and and after effect of the fight but I just spotted it today. The fight was a week ago. I thought it was fungus and was looking for what to treat it with. But then I came across this thread. Do saltwater fish get fungus?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Sorry not meaning to hijack. I have a maroon clown female that I tried to pair with a like sized maroom clown. They beat each other up pretty well. They live i separate aquariums now. They are healing. One of them has two tufts of white in it. One on the front pectoral fin and one on the gill plate. I thought it was just cartilidge and and after effect of the fight but I just spotted it today. The fight was a week ago. I thought it was fungus and was looking for what to treat it with. But then I came across this thread. Do saltwater fish get fungus?
No - saltwater fish do not develop saprolegnea fungus that is so common in freshwater fish that have been injured. In fact, adding some salt to the water is a common treatment for saprolegnea. Marine fish do get some rarer internal fungal issues.
If you post a pic of your clown we might be able to tell more, but often, these issues can’t be identified from a photo. Two more common causes of white tufts are bacteria or lymphocystis.
Jay

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I think they are just torn fins. The fish won't let me get a great look but I got a better look today. Now that I know it can't be fungus I am less worried and it has gotten bigger today. One definitely looks just like its from the fight.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking fungus and recommend seachem neoplex
If eat, add seachem metroplex to the foods
If not eating can you inject metroplex mixed with food into its stomach with a syringe base and a coffee straw as a needle then do a fresh water dip before you put him in the tank with the neoplex ???

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back