Ants nesting in sump cable trays

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to lie.... when I saw the headline, I said “what!” To myself in a high voice...., this blows my mind away!
I also thought they were termites until you said they were sugar ants.
Ive never seen this! Couldn’t you seal up where ever they’re coming in? That would fix the problem but I guess you’d still need to deal with these if that queen is in there.

My mind is still blown.....
My old apartment was a pre civil war house and the floor was actually 12” planks. Had a ivy plant grow up all the way through the planks, up the back of the tank. Left it because it was a amazing looking! Wish I had a photo to share.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done the borax trick before to get rid of sugar ants and it works amazingly well. In fact, most ant killer traps this is all they are made of if you read the labels. All gone in about 7-10 days. Just follow directions exactly. If you do too much borax in your sugar trap mix, they can smell it and won’t eat it. It’s crazy, you don’t need a lot. They will take the trap back to the nest and they will all consume it and it slowly kills them from within the nest.
This wasn’t around my tanks though, so dunno if I’d put chemicals around it if they can get in the sump somehow. I’d do what others said first. Vacuum them up and clean then best I could. Maybe put trap outside of sump area next to stand. They will find it.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like another day in FLORIDA....not uncommon in the Sunshine state...I had some when I lived/stationed down in Miramar (Broward County) a few years back...ticked me off...but its something u somewhat get use to see and try to protect/prevent before they show up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back