Ants

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMB I opened my 32 gallon trash can that I keep my ATO water in I saw a cluster of ants floating on the surface. Well it's sort of dark where the container is at, I got a paper towel and scooped them out. dumb move they where all still alive, just in my water taking a swim I guess

20171211_164325.jpg

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMB I opened my 32 gallon trash can that I keep my ATO water in I saw a cluster of ants floating on the surface. Well it's sort of dark where the container is at, I got a paper towel and scooped them out. dumb move they where all still alive, just in my water taking a swim I guess

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire ants? They will make themselves a raft out of each other and just float around

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a sealed container? How'd they get in?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are any left in there, use a water jug with a handle to remove them with some water. That way they will stay floating. I hated fire ants when I lived in NC

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are any left in there, use a water jug with a handle to remove them with some water. That way they will stay floating. I hated fire ants when I lived in NC
Me to, good idea I will try and find
there mound tomorrow, I guess tonight I leave the rest swim.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How... odd.

Is there anything in or around the container that would attract them? I wouldn't think water alone would do it, but... I guess?
Do you have any movement in the tank? I can't imagine needing it for anything tank-related, but perhaps a small powerhead would move the water enough to keep the ants out?

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How... odd.

Is there anything in or around the container that would attract them? I wouldn't think water alone would do it, but... I guess?
Do you have any movement in the tank? I can't imagine needing it for anything tank-related, but perhaps a small powerhead would move the water enough to keep the ants out?
No nothing I agree very strange and it was not just a few it was allot it's hard to tell in my picture it is dark out there. I guess it's winter and they needed water

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do to the description you gave, tgat the ants were clustered on the water surface, I’m inclined to say tropical fire ants. They are known to do this when moving the colony’s location

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty interesting. I probably would have held off and observed them to see if they were just passing by. Maybe you had bad weather and they took refuge in there temporarily. I can't imagine them staying there long as it's saltwater and there isn't food there.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty interesting. I probably would have held off and observed them to see if they were just passing by. Maybe you had bad weather and they took refuge in there temporarily. I can't imagine them staying there long as it's saltwater and there isn't food there.
No it just RODI water for my ATO, and yes there was bad weather I was not here for it a little snow but when I scooped them out they are very much alive and still in the stinging stage lol, Guess I interrupted them

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ants will be attracted to water if conditions are unfavorable - dry or cold. I'm not sure how far fire ants can travel but some species can travel a surprisingly long distance. I've always had good luck with Terro brand ant bait/poison.

Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back