Any ATO sensor alternatives for Apex?

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an A3 with 1 MOS optical sensor that I use for a low level sensor in my sump. I use a float valve for my fill, so that is a measure of safety if/when the MOS fails. I would like to at least monitor my ATO reservoir and depending on cost add a high level sensor to my sump, so I was looking for sensor alternatives. Aside from being out of stock everywhere they are also $40 each.

If it is a matter of converting the wiring to match the plug that Apex uses, that is not a problem. I run my existing 12v ATO pump off of the 24v accessory output on the EB832 (using a microfit connector, buck converter and barrel connector). My reservoir unfortunately does not lend itself to any sort of float sensor. It is a 5g water jug/container that I designed and printed a screw cap for that allows the wires and return tube in/out and a threaded opening for a 1/2" barb fitting for filling it. So a magnetic solution, that can fit through a 2" top opening, is needed. I will eventually replace this with a larger reservoir, perhaps an RV water tank, but for now it is what I have to work with. Thanks in advance.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like regular float switches wired into a breakout box. More reliable than opticals and cheaper too. The opticals require regular cleaning to work right and fail way more often.

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like regular float switches wired into a breakout box. More reliable than opticals and cheaper too. The opticals require regular cleaning to work right and fail way more often.
I agree, but as I noted they are not currently an option. I am still searching around for some that might fit, but most w/ a mag mount are too large.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything preventing you from drilling a hole? These are super reliable for a high level switch.

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything preventing you from drilling a hole? These are super reliable for a high level switch.

Thanks, but no, I am not going to be drilling this container. It will have a purpose beyond it's current one when I eventually swap it out. And I am not looking for a high level switch, but am looking for a low level one for the reservoir. Unless you are recommending putting one in the sump and using the existing optical in the fill water container, which I had considered. I just need to then find a good mount for the float as where it goes there is not a good "lip" in the sump where I need to place it to clip it on. And I will not drill the sump wall. I have options along the lines of using a float in the sump, but need to finish wiring up/soldering the break out box before I give them serious consideration.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use for mounting in my sump

And

Anything magnetic closer than the one I linked will affect the Reed and turn the float into a paperweight.

OP
OP
S

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use for mounting in my sump

And

Anything magnetic closer than the one I linked will affect the Reed and turn the float into a paperweight.

Thanks. I will look into both of those, although I am leaning towards that mag one.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back