Any Aussies tried Quantum ICP-OES?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks... I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried out the Quantum ICP test?

Details (or lack thereof): https://www.quantumaqua.com.au/product/advanced-icp-oes-water-analysis/

I've taken the plunge and sent some samples off today. I only have my test kits to compare results against but may try ATI/Triton next to check to see if there are any major red flags between the two sets of results.

fergusk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major differences. Sam Parker did a video a while ago to compare when they were new, but I'd take the rankings with a grain of salt (the accuracy was determined by how close it was to the other tests etc. which isn't really valid, but it's useful as far as user experience goes. Quantum was the new kid on the block at the time and I'm sure things are more dialled in now too).

I wouldn't stress about the accuracy of any of the tests. They're all going to give useful results.

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and personally, I'm not impressed. I was getting differing phosphate readings from my several different phosphate test kits and after watching Sam Parker's video on ICP, I decided to investigate further. I had sent out a Quantum and a Triton to compare. The results are from one extreme to another. I know which one I would trust from now on.

Quantum result.jpg
Trition result.jpg

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and personally, I'm not impressed. I was getting differing phosphate readings from my several different phosphate test kits and after watching Sam Parker's video on ICP, I decided to investigate further. I had sent out a Quantum and a Triton to compare. The results are from one extreme to another. I know which one I would trust from now on.

Quantum result.jpg
Trition result.jpg
Would be interested to know which one is the trusted one and what results you were getting from the test ? Are you saying you expected the exceptionally high results that Triton have you?

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I was pretty happy with the results I received.... everything aligned closely with the testing I did at the same time I took the sample.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quantum result.jpg
Trition result.jpg
Strange. I test Phosphate using nyos test. Returns near zero. Quantum returned a higher level.
Surely other parameters would be out too if quantum were at fault?
I'll try triton next time but unless I send tests to both its not a fair comparison

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just sent a sample to ATI... obviously difficult to make a direct comparison given the massive gaps between the two ICP tests but coughing up 25 bucks for shipping to Germany already had me preferring Quantum.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just sent a sample to ATI... obviously difficult to make a direct comparison given the massive gaps between the two ICP tests but coughing up 25 bucks for shipping to Germany already had me preferring Quantum.
Triton tests in Australia. I'll try that next.
Quantum is at least an aussie company and looks like they have some good product.
Their own brand salt comes from why whyalla in SA

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interested to know which one is the trusted one and what results you were getting from the test ? Are you saying you expected the exceptionally high results that Triton have you?
The hobby grade test kits I was using in order of lowest phosphate readings to the highest were:-
Aquaforest, Sera, Nyos, RedSea, and the Hanna checker. I've always experienced 'odd' results back from Quantum which didn't make sense when taking into account the overall visual health and status of my tank and livestock. I was convinced that something wasn't quite right.

With tufts of GHA scattered throughout my tank, a light green dusting of film on my glass every morning and my nitrates up at 40 - 50ppm, there was no way that my phosphate reading could be 0.046ppm as the Quantum ICP reading stated. I personally, knew that my phosphates were through the roof and out of curiosity I decided to send the same tank sample to Quantum and to Triton.

It seems that the Quantum and the Triton results are vastly contradictory and span from one extreme to another. I'd always received 'odd' readings back from the Quantum ICPs when I was using them. Another example is strontium. I do not dose strontium and don't feel the need to do so in my tank.

However, the strontium levels in my tank seemed to be slightly higher than what Triton were recommending. I'm suspecting it was a reef product which I had previously dosed, that also contained strontium. However, testing the same batch of tank water, Quantum's ICP states strontium to be slightly depleted and recommends dosing.

Reef2Reef post re Quantum.jpg

I'm glad I had a sneaking suspicion that something was off with the whole Quantum ICPs in general and I'm glad I decided to switch to Triton. Had I not switched to Triton and was still using Quantum, I may have just gone ahead with Quantums suggestion (merely based on trust) and dosed my tank with strontium. I don't even want to contemplate what sort of tank disaster I'd be dealing with had I gone ahead with their suggestion/advice.

Admittedly, knowing what I know now, I've lost trust in the Quantum ICPs which is definitely a shame because I try and purchase and support 'Aussie Made', where ever I can. I'm currently expecting my fourth Triton ICP back and I know that I won't be left scratching my head, and double-guessing myself, which was always a common occurrence when my Quantum results came in.

Last edited:

Autonomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton samples no longer need to be sent off to Germany for analysis, so there is no need to fork out any $$ for international P&H.

Triton samples are now analysed here in Queensland, Australia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back