Any captive bred pipefish available

Deepsixx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of a source where captive bred pipefish, preferably the blue line pipe, are available. I tried quality marine and all they have are wild caught. Any breeders here?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for captive bred also but couldn't find anywhere unfortunately:( I ended up getting my bluestripe from live aquaria

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how collecting animals from the sea is slowly being shut down, I'm sure those in the know are working on this. I believe this will be where we buy fish & corals in the future. I also would like to keep a pipe fish.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how collecting animals from the sea is slowly being shut down, I'm sure those in the know are working on this. I believe this will be where we buy fish & corals in the future. I also would like to keep a pipe fish.
You are absolutely correct.

The time to shift towards captive bred and aquaculture is NOW. Wild collection will end, and soon, and we need to be ready for that!

I’m curious has ANYONE ever successfully bred pipes?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know of a source where captive bred pipefish, preferably the blue line pipe, are available. I tried quality marine and all they have are wild caught. Any breeders here?
I was looking for captive bred also but couldn't find anywhere unfortunately:( I ended up getting my bluestripe from live aquaria
Im also interested in captive bred pipes...
Hi you all,
There is only 1 source of captive bred pipefish that I know of and that is Ocean Rider, seahorse.com. They do not have blue striped pipefish. They have banded flagtail pipefish only. Their pipefish are trained to eat frozen mysis which is really nice.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi you all,
There is only 1 source of captive bred pipefish that I know of and that is Ocean Rider, seahorse.com. They do not have blue striped pipefish. They have banded flagtail pipefish only. Their pipefish are trained to eat frozen mysis which is really nice.
Thanks much vlangel! (Nice to see you in this forum! Always followed you in NR)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ! So the Folks at Ocean Rider are raising pipe fish. Very cool !

OP
OP
Deepsixx

Deepsixx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching Ocean rider. They have been out for a while. I even sent an email to which I have seen no replies. I saw someone on youtube that had raised blue stripes. I sent an email request. no reply either. His name on youtube is Tanner Smith.

Hey Clown Enthusiast, how is the wild blue stripe doing? I heard they are kinda hardy as far as pipes go.

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching Ocean rider. They have been out for a while. I even sent an email to which I have seen no replies. I saw someone on youtube that had raised blue stripes. I sent an email request. no reply either. His name on youtube is Tanner Smith.

Hey Clown Enthusiast, how is the wild blue stripe doing? I heard they are kinda hardy as far as pipes go.
She's been doing good! Just a little background on the pipe. So I live in Florida and I ordered her from LA. She was shipped from California to South Florida, which I thought was risky since they can be quite delicate and not the best shippers. Anyways.. she arrived alive and well so I acclimated her and she's been nice and fat ever since! I keep her in my 32 gallon mixed reef tank with a pair of clowns, golden sailfin blenny, and an Orchid dottyback. I also have a few torch corals and she doesn't seem to have any problem with what so ever. I'm very pleased with this fish and really think you should give it a try! I'm not expert or anything but I'll answer any questions you might have!

mstomcat65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely correct.

The time to shift towards captive bred and aquaculture is NOW. Wild collection will end, and soon, and we need to be ready for that!

I’m curious has ANYONE ever successfully bred pipes?

I have secessfully bred the erectus seahorse and they are now courting. I would like to try with the banded pipefish but they go fast when I find them online. They sell out really quick. I have one banded pipe now which I think may be a female.

MattATL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded pipefish have reproduced today. I have raised and am currently raising baby seahorses so I hope to be able to raise these to adulthood too. More to come.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back