Any coral vendors use flat disks.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for vendors that use flat disks instead of plugs. They look great on a bare bottom. I know you can cut the plugs with bone cutters, but the plug will still wobble on a flat surface. I also know I can just refrag, but then you dont get them healed on instantly. Recommendations appreciated.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only place I have seen is my lfs. You'll probably have to cut and glue them to disks I'm thinking. On a positive I have had some grow back from pieces left on the plug after removing. Free frags.
This. Someone has to frag it @ somepoint. Usually LFS or online vendor is placing it in a disc. Trans pac shipping a lot of it is just bagged.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend just grabbing your own. I never keep the plug it came in on; if it is encrusted I cut as much off as I possibly can- pests lay eggs next to their food- not on it. A small ball of epoxy that has a dab of glue holding it to the tile & a dab of glue holding it to the coral is my normal practice.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense- no need to cut to get it off the plug. If I had a plug of pricey zoas that I wanted on a tile I’d just cut the stem of the plug and do they same epoxy/glue process

Fwiw. I used to have the same luck cutting zoas. After losing an entire 4” disc of kraks a local reefer recommended iodine dipping the zoas after cutting. It was a game changer for me.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost so many zoas due to fresh cuts. I really prefer healed frags.
I was thinking sticks. For zoas I would cut the stem off the plug and glue the plug to a tile or disk like @DJF recommended. The way zoas grow in I doubt the plug would be visible once they take off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back