Any definitive answers to the UV question from BRS testing...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any definitive answers to the UV question from BRS testing...?

I know they were testing UV sterilizers quite a bit awhile ago - when Randy was still around...

Did they ever come to any conclusions...?

Does running two UV (one at a lower speed to kill the harmful bacteria/organisms and one at a higher speed to get ride of algae, etc...) work the best...?

Or is it just as effective to run one UV at a lower speed part of the time - and at a higher speed part of the time, etc...

If I remember correctly, the last BRS testing I saw - was the a UV really didn't have much of an effect of the cycling phase...?

Just wonder what the latest word of UV is...

Thanks!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if they ever posted anything but Ryan said he wouldn’t run two again unless you have unlimited funds.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not sure if they ever posted anything but Ryan said he wouldn’t run two again unless you have unlimited funds.
I have 2x of the 15w HOBs that I was going to use on my 150g corner tank. Just wondering best way to set them up. I have two smallish pumps and also have the small apex flow monitors.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2x of the 15w HOBs that I was going to use on my 150g corner tank. Just wondering best way to set them up. I have two smallish pumps and also have the small apex flow monitors.
30w for 150g tank means I would just run them both the same. Probably for clearer water and algae stuff.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like your better off just using one REALLY oversized unit rather than trying to mess around with 2 unless your system is setup to run 2 return pumps and you can swing it from a space perspective.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how big your tanks are.. i run 120 and 80watters on my reef and a 120 on my predator tank
our lagoon has 3 440 watters on it.

i think you can get by with one but if your system tells you it needs more just add a second.

make sure to run ozone. .. ozone plus uv= better skimmer performance.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
depends how big your tanks are.. i run 120 and 80watters on my reef and a 120 on my predator tank
our lagoon has 3 440 watters on it.

i think you can get by with one but if your system tells you it needs more just add a second.

make sure to run ozone. .. ozone plus uv= better skimmer performance.
I've heard mixed things about ozone. I'm on the fence.

So, there is no benefit to me running 2 x 15w UVs on different gph speeds on my 155g, one for bacteria and one for algae??

Is it just not a worthwhile practice or should I be running 2x at higher wattages?

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed things about ozone. I'm on the fence.

So, there is no benefit to me running 2 x 15w UVs on different gph speeds on my 155g, one for bacteria and one for algae??

Is it just not a worthwhile practice or should I be running 2x at higher wattages?
The last I heard from a BRS video quite awhile ago was that it was more beneficial to run 2 - one at the lower recommended speed for parasites, etc. - and one at the higher recommended speed for algae, etc...

I don't know if further testing at BRS has changed this - or not.

One a side note - I believe 15 W is too small for a 155...

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The last I heard from a BRS video quite awhile ago was that it was more beneficial to run 2 - one at the lower recommended speed for parasites, etc. - and one at the higher recommended speed for algae, etc...

I don't know if further testing at BRS has changed this - or not.

One a side note - I believe 15 W is too small for a 155...
Agreed, but the person I bought them from was using them this way on his 150g. I guess he assumed 15 + 15 = 30 so that's enough...

Back