Any downsides to using a "Wheelie bin" for RODI Storage?

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "think" this is predominantly a US-centric audience, so I have no idea if anyone knows what a "Wheelie bin" is outside Australia / UK.... Hence the photo below...

Designed as a rubbish (garbage?) bin, on wheels - made out of pretty sturdy plastic - and designed to be UV resistant.

Does anyone know if this would be suitable as a RODI water storage container? Any downsides anyone can think of / anything I'd need to watch out for?

Currently I have a 100litre tank outside the back door of my house, but want to go for a larger tank, without spending a fortune...

Any thoughts / comments welcome! (And if nothing else, you now know what a wheelie bin is :))
1621158554519.png

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of people use brute trash cans. They're made of food safe materials and don't leach additives into the water that's being stored. You'd have to make sure this plastic is the same.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to know if it is food safe plastic, our wheelie bins do not have any markings to say they are, so you need to find out.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The axle mounts aren't meant for that much weight. While I haven't used them for water storage, I think the wheelie bin would fail fairly quickly if you moved it around much.

I use a Rubbermaid Brute can with their dolly that has 5 casters on the bottom for easy movement.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green bins for compost in canada are the same bins and when I searched the number on the bottom it came back as not food safe. They are definitely sturdy and thick and would be wicked for mixing water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back