Any entomologists? help me figure out what was in my bed!

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again: fairly certain it's not an earwig. It didn't have the distinctive "jaws" on the abdomen. It only had a single stinger-thing on the abdomen. Also, it crawled with the jaws facing towards wherever it was heading.

Regarding pond water, I did have a nasty helgrammite infection in the outdoor tub around 3 months ago. But it only looked kind of like a helgrammite to me. I did bring in a 5 gallon bucket with amano shrimp and some hornwort from outside, but it's been months with no feeding of anything in that bucket...

It's certainly not a dragonfly/damselfly nymph....

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're welcome! You may want to check in the bucket (with gloves) to see if there are more, they're predatory. A lid may be in order. Confusing that it got into your bed, they don't usually travel far (if at all) on land. Do you have any mobile pets like a dog or cat, who might have stuck a paw into the bucket and somehow managed to transport the beetle?

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! You may want to check in the bucket (with gloves) to see if there are more, they're predatory. A lid may be in order. Confusing that it got into your bed, they don't usually travel far (if at all) on land. Do you have any mobile pets like a dog or cat, who might have stuck a paw into the bucket and somehow managed to transport the beetle?
I might actually just evacuate everything into a new bucket really...

The bucket is approximately a foot from the nearest bedpost, but after that it's around 2-3 feet from where I got bitten. I'm actually highly allergic to fur/feathers, so I don't think there should have been any secondary transport...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe this may be a silverfish- Common house bug and found at or near a bathroom making it through bedrooms

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this may be a silverfish- Common house bug and found at or near a bathroom making it through bedrooms
Definitely not a silverfish. I know silverfish, and this bug was all fight response and zero flee response...also it didn't zip as fast as silverfish do....

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen giant water beetles quite a distance from water. If they are looking for water this would explain it. Thier water hole dried up. Late summer this could be the case

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, sure, giant water beetles can get really far. They fly. Giant water beetle LARVAE can crawl on land to some extent to look for water, but aren't very good at it, due to being long, swimming grubs with short little legs. They don't normally get very far from their water. I'd suspect something transported this somehow.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sure, giant water beetles can get really far. They fly. Giant water beetle LARVAE can crawl on land to some extent to look for water, but aren't very good at it, due to being long, swimming grubs with short little legs. They don't normally get very far from their water. I'd suspect something transported this somehow.
...I am never dragging blankets across my floors EVER again.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that bug was telling you to do a water change, as in get the bucket out of the house.
Reminds me of college visiting the river to collect bug larvae. Those were some fun trips!
giphy.gif

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, and probably the reason it hurt that much (aside from surprise) is because diving beetle larvae inject their prey with digestive enzymes. Many water bugs have very painful bites, for that reason. It's not dangerous, it just hurts like hell.

"Toe-biters", giant water bugs, have the most painful non-medically-significant bite of any bug in the US. Scary.

(Something that isn't medically significant is something that doesn't generally require medical treatment beyond basic first aid. For example, most spider bites, or skinning your knee. You won't need a doctor if a waterbug bites you, but it might feel like you do.)

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible water scavenger beetle larvae?

Ok yeah, it's definitely a water beetle larvae. Now which one it is, I have no clue...and at this point IDK if I even want to know.

Oh, and probably the reason it hurt that much (aside from surprise) is because diving beetle larvae inject their prey with digestive enzymes. Many water bugs have very painful bites, for that reason. It's not dangerous, it just hurts like hell.

"Toe-biters", giant water bugs, have the most painful non-medically-significant bite of any bug in the US. Scary.

(Something that isn't medically significant is something that doesn't generally require medical treatment beyond basic first aid. For example, most spider bites, or skinning your knee. You won't need a doctor if a waterbug bites you, but it might feel like you do.)

Huh...so it's like the whole being wrapped up by a spider and injected with enzymes....but only without the cocoon. How devilishly terrifying. This does explain the rather large pink area on my forearm, since the enzymes probably travelled a little bit down the bloodsteam as well...even though it didn't form a weal or anything.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that'll explain the welt. Theoretically they could be dangerous if you had an allergic reaction, but that's pretty unlikely and would have been set off already, so you don't need to be worried.

Water beetle larvae are pretty much impossible to tell apart, even when intact, except by rough categorization of size. You have to get them to adulthood. I kept a big one for awhile that hit a good three inches long, but the cat dumped it out before I could find out what it was. Fed it on bits of shrimp I waved in front of it on the end of a wire, since they go after moving prey.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back