Any experience with the MagTool DC Nano Skimmer?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This MagTool nano that gets great reviews, is supposedly nearly SILENT and is 1/3rd the cost of the other one I am considering (Tunze 9004 DC).

*There is a good Amazon review video on this page ^

My follow question is.. what issues might I run into using this on a 55 gallon tank? It is for "up to a 30 gallon" tank. What does this rating even mean? Does this have to do with the volume of water is processed per hour? Or skimmate cup size? If the latter, isn't that point meaningless if this cup has a drain that I can run off into a larger container?

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This MagTool nano that gets great reviews, is supposedly nearly SILENT and is 1/3rd the cost of the other one I am considering (Tunze 9004 DC).

*There is a good Amazon review video on this page ^

My follow question is.. what issues might I run into using this on a 55 gallon tank? It is for "up to a 30 gallon" tank. What does this rating even mean? Does this have to do with the volume of water is processed per hour? Or skimmate cup size? If the latter, isn't that point meaningless if this cup has a drain that I can run off into a larger container?

Thanks!

The rating is likely related to the processing of 99% of the water per unit of time. A smaller skimmer means that the time period is longer. Should be no big deal. Skim wetter if you think you need to remove more organics per hour.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the specs on Amazon it looks like it’d fit in many AIO tanks. It’s small and has good ratings as well
yea I took a look after reading this thread, but I am always wary of amazon reviews. I've been trying to decide between eshopps nano skimmer or tunze 9001 skimmer, but this looks like a good alternative.

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I took a look after reading this thread, but I am always wary of amazon reviews. I've been trying to decide between eshopps nano skimmer or tunze 9001 skimmer, but this looks like a good alternative.
Amazon is really good about returns though so if you don’t like it your not stuck with it.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is for the mag tool. I recomend them. its the best small skimmer i have used by far. There is another vendor for the same skimmer on amazon. one or the other will have a lower price at any given time. I think i paid $79. It will help on a 55 but i think that is pushing the limit. depends on bio load. The other skimmers mentioned in this thread will not hold a candle to this one. I have had the Tunze 9004 and 9001 ac and dc models. They are not anywhere near the Max Tool and the A-max is not as good as the Tunze. I run it on a JBJ 45.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang! I haven’t pulled the trigger on this purchase yet. I was hoping someone else would have by now - ha!

@MaxTremors
Are you currently using the Aquamaxx? Can you comment on the noise levels?
I’m using the NF-1 and it’s essentially silent.

blksubykid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run the NF-1 and the skimmer itself is silent. It occasionally produces micro bubbles for me, but I’m actually looking into the bubble magus mini Q for my 20g. I try to run different equipment each tank

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the MagTool Nano Skimmer. But I have the older Cadlight PLS-50 Elite 2. And now the current "new and improved" Cadlight PLS-50 Elite 2 is, I reckon, identical to the MagTool Nano. (Don't know why it is not named Elite 3 or something)

So, if the new PLS-50 is an improved version, then I could share my experience. I have been using the older $180 "Cadlights PLS-50 Elite 2" in my Waterbox Cube 20 and now in my Fiji Cube 32 AIO mixed-reef tank. It is an excellent skimmer. I would highly recommend it. (I am thinking to buy the MagTool Nano Skimmer for a spare while it's still selling for such low price.)

As you can see in the photo, I had Aquamaxx NF-1 nano, the current version HOB 1.5 (the HOB 1.5 is a work BEAST but a bit noisy. I am hyper sensitive to sound/noise), and PLS-50 Elite 2 (my favorite one). Sold the NF-1 as soon as the PLS-50 installed. NF-1 might be good for a 5-gallon pico tank. Well, if my photo tells you anything, you know what to choose.

Just make sure it fits in your AIO tank.

TC_00416.JPG

My current Fiji Cube 32 AIO
IMG_2451.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the MagTool Nano Skimmer. But I have the older Cadlight PLS-50 Elite 2. And now the current "new and improved" Cadlight PLS-50 Elite 2 is, I reckon, identical to the MagTool Nano. (Don't know why it is not named Elite 3 or something)

So, if the new PLS-50 is an improved version, then I could share my experience. I have been using the older $180 "Cadlights PLS-50 Elite 2" in my Waterbox Cube 20 and now in my Fiji Cube 32 AIO mixed-reef tank. It is an excellent skimmer. I would highly recommend it. (I am thinking to buy the MagTool Nano Skimmer for a spare while it's still selling for such low price.)

As you can see in the photo, I had Aquamaxx NF-1 nano, the current version HOB 1.5 (the HOB 1.5 is a work BEAST but a bit noisy. I am hyper sensitive to sound/noise), and PLS-50 Elite 2 (my favorite one). Sold the NF-1 as soon as the PLS-50 installed. NF-1 might be good for a 5-gallon pico tank. Well, if my photo tells you anything, you know what to choose.

Just make sure it fits in your AIO tank.

TC_00416.JPG

My current Fiji Cube 32 AIO
IMG_2451.JPG
Thanks for the great info!

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Magtool Mini protein skimmer. Doesn’t fit in the back of the IM 25 lagoon so sending it back.

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered a Magtool nano skimmer and modified it to fit into my Waterbox 20 and I’m loving it. It it’s quieter than my eshopps nano skimmer and is much larger and has much finer bubbles. So I am very happy with the purchase so far

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back